Pre-1997 Models

1996 F150 5.0 motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 F150 5.0 motor

Hello,
I have a problem that gave me a #2 misfire so I changed the plug and the problem continued without a code for maybe a week at best but still had the rough idle. I then replaced the cap and rotor button. I did a tune up a year back so I didn't replace any wires. Well the truck got sat on the back burner due to money issues but I have recently trying to fix this rough idle that again give me the same code but when I took it to get the code at the auto store. the guy got shocked at the distributor checking to make sure the wires were seated properly. ( it has never done this) well I figured its time to replace the wires and I did but low and behold I too was shocked with the new ones. I did the night time check and no arching as well I did the water spray with the same results.

Something is causing this and I believe it may be why I am having this rough idle since it just started over night. Does anyone have any suggestions to what to check or look for. maybe a ground issue? I am at a loss on this.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:32 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I've bought cheap plug wires and I've bought HIGH dollar plug wires. They'll all bust yer chops. I doubt the common as dirt leakage is the issue. If it sits any length of time at all, the injectors are a known issue. They can get corroded in a few days with the bug spray we buy today called ethanol gas. Ethanol absorbs water out of the air and carries it to the injectors where it causes issues. The most common fix is Techron in the gas added to about 8-10 gallons of gas. Drive it easy off and on. Then take it out for a hard run. Usually clears it up. Key to it is driving it and letting it sit long enough to cool down and then driving it again. It lets the Techron work on it while it sits.
FWIW, there are all kinds of tune up parts out there. If the distributor cap has aluminum contacts inside- it's crap. Go buy a good one with brass contacts. The aluminum ones can be junk in just a few miles.
Crap:

Good:

Old 07-16-2017, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
I've bought cheap plug wires and I've bought HIGH dollar plug wires. They'll all bust yer chops. I doubt the common as dirt leakage is the issue. If it sits any length of time at all, the injectors are a known issue. They can get corroded in a few days with the bug spray we buy today called ethanol gas. Ethanol absorbs water out of the air and carries it to the injectors where it causes issues. The most common fix is Techron in the gas added to about 8-10 gallons of gas. Drive it easy off and on. Then take it out for a hard run. Usually clears it up. Key to it is driving it and letting it sit long enough to cool down and then driving it again. It lets the Techron work on it while it sits.
FWIW, there are all kinds of tune up parts out there. If the distributor cap has aluminum contacts inside- it's crap. Go buy a good one with brass contacts. The aluminum ones can be junk in just a few miles.
Crap:

Good:
I was thinking the injector may be dirty because it sat for a couple of months. I just never got shocked from the wires on the cap but its a loose ( or it seems to me). I do have the aluminum type but will replace that tomorrow for brass. I then will take it for a small road trip and see if that clears it. I just hate they covered up the fuel rail on the passenger side so you cant just pull them and clean them. I will update you when I do this. Thanks

Old 07-17-2017, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by snookhooked
I was thinking the injector may be dirty because it sat for a couple of months. I just never got shocked from the wires on the cap but its a loose ( or it seems to me). I do have the aluminum type but will replace that tomorrow for brass. I then will take it for a small road trip and see if that clears it. I just hate they covered up the fuel rail on the passenger side so you cant just pull them and clean them. I will update you when I do this. Thanks
I did buy the cleaner you said. Its in a gray bottle and suppose to clean in one use but we will see. Cap and rotor button will be bought this coming Thursday. IN the meantime, I will just do my short trips of maybe 3 to 4 miles one way back and forth to get the cleaner in the system. I will update this as it goes on how it works. Thanks

Old 07-18-2017, 08:36 AM
Ok, ran pretty much most of the bottle and even though its a touch better. I still have the rough idle with the take off being rough but somewhat smooth when driving. As normal the engine light is back on and I am 100% sure if checked, it will say the #2 is misfiring. I cant replace the cap and rotor to a better brass type till Thursday. I am afraid to touch the distributor cap since my last shock. It has never done that before while running. Its aggravating not having clear access to the #2 fuel injector/ rail to check it or clean it. The tectron bottle claims it will clean in one use but doesn't look that way this point. Open to ideas of what I may need to do or further suggestions. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Ok, ran pretty much most of the bottle and even though its a touch better. I still have the rough idle with the take off being rough but somewhat smooth when driving. As normal the engine light is back on and I am 100% sure if checked, it will say the #2 is misfiring. I cant replace the cap and rotor to a better brass type till Thursday. I am afraid to touch the distributor cap since my last shock. It has never done that before while running. Its aggravating not having clear access to the #2 fuel injector/ rail to check it or clean it. The tectron bottle claims it will clean in one use but doesn't look that way this point. Open to ideas of what I may need to do or further suggestions. Thanks.
Nothing has changed right now but I also move this thread to the engine threads in hopes maybe I might find somebody who has went through this.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Nothing has changed right now but I also move this thread to the engine threads in hopes maybe I might find somebody who has went through this.
Problem found, damn rat eat though wires on the injector so I have to replace the wires and I should be good.