F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Pre-1997 Models (https://www.f150online.com/forums/pre-1997-models-51/)
-   -   My truck's engine died.... (https://www.f150online.com/forums/pre-1997-models/513454-my-trucks-engine-died.html)

frank5079 03-04-2017 06:19 AM

My truck's engine died....

My '95 XLT longbed with a 300 six and 5 speed died early last summer, due to excess blowby and the resulting underhood fire brought on by the PCV which kept popping out.

A small crack in my exhaust manifold ignited the oil spray which the resulting fire burned part of the fuel rail and engine wiring harness. So now I have my excuse to do an engine swap.....

I did find a '95 F150 with a 351 and automatic trans (150k miles). The gentleman I'm buying from is a big Ford OBS fan and restores them as a hobby. So for $750 I'm getting a complete motor, ECM, Y pipe, engine perches and a few odds and ends. I've gotten a flywheel and clutch kit from Ebay.

I picked up my 351 engine, underhood harness, perches, F250 Y-pipe, ECM(although it is for an auto trans), and radiator this past Monday.....I've also ordered a reman ECM for an F250 351 manual trans from Rock Auto which I should get in a few days. As soon as I got the engine home, I broke out the hose, cleaned and degreased the motor while it was still on the trailer. I did notice a few things like one of the wires to the rear injector was nicked and a connector to the TPS was broken off. My next plan of action is to change the valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, water pump and possibly the rear main seal as well as all the rubber hoses....can you guys think of anything I may be leaving out???

1995XLT 03-04-2017 08:27 AM

Might as well do the timing case cover gaskets and front seal while you're at it - an extra 15 - 20 $$ in gaskets.
A new timing chain and gears would be fairly simple to install while the cover's off.

johnsnowkornar 12-24-2019 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by frank5079 (Post 5213952)
My '95 XLT longbed with a 300 six and 5 speed died early last summer, due to excess blowby and the resulting underhood fire brought on by the PCV which kept popping out.

A small crack in my exhaust manifold ignited the oil spray which the resulting fire burned part of the fuel rail and engine wiring harness. So now I have my excuse to do an engine swap.....

I did find a '95 F150 with a 351 and automatic trans (150k miles). The gentleman I'm buying from is a big Ford OBS fan and restores them as a hobby. So for $750 I'm getting a complete motor, ECM, Y pipe, engine perches and a few odds and ends. I've gotten a flywheel and clutch kit from Ebay.

I picked up my 351 engine, underhood harness, perches, F250 Y-pipe, ECM(although it is for an auto trans), and radiator this past Monday.....I've also ordered a reman ECM for an F250 351 manual trans from Rock Auto which I should get in a few days. As soon as I got the best engine degreasers home, I broke out the hose, cleaned and degreased the motor while it was still on the trailer. I did notice a few things like one of the wires to the rear injector was nicked and a connector to the TPS was broken off. My next plan of action is to change the valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, water pump and possibly the rear main seal as well as all the rubber hoses....can you guys think of anything I may be leaving out???

it's a great opportunity to really apply the degreaser to the motor and let it carry out its responsibility.