Pre-1997 Models

Towed 2 times in 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towed 2 times in 2 weeks

Well maybe some of you all have ran across this before. Last weekend I drove the truck for about 40 miles, 60mph down the highway. I always turn overdrive off b/c in my truck it will just continue to shift in and out of it, even at highway speeds. As I was driving I felt a hiccup or chug in it. Just one. Drove for about another mile and it chugged a couple of times. Then I lost the engine like the fuel just quit on it. And as I was letting it roll off the road all the power acc went. Once on the side of the road, there was an odor like gas, I had plenty of battery, gas, and the thing would crank but it wouldn't fire. Like it had no fuel. I figured it wasn't much wrong, tow bill to the house was $90. It sat for a couple days with out doing anything. I go out to it and it fires right up like a dream, no problems whatsoever. I changed fuel filter, ran a can of seafoam through the tank and drove it a little, no issues,.

Yesterday I drove about 15 miles and it did it all again. Same thing. I had someone driving behind me and both times they could smell the odor as well before it happened. And just like last time I got up the next day, it fired right up like nothing was wrong. Has anyone had this happen to them and what could it be?

Old 08-28-2016, 11:20 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Codes? Fuel pressure? I suspect the codes will tell you something.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:49 PM
I'm with Roadie on checking for codes. But an off the cuff guess is something electrical/ electronic is getting hot and either shorting out or losing a connection (heat expands) then when it's cool again things move back to normal

Old 09-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Sounds like possibly the PIP sensor in the distributor. Check for spark when it dies.

Quick Reply: Towed 2 times in 2 weeks