Pre-1997 Models

92-96 150 rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92-96 150 rear brakes

Just got back into a 92 150 not to long ago. Been awhile since I owned my other 95's lol. But question is. Does anyone know of a conversion kit for the rear to make it disc? Or can I make rear brakes work on a 97-03 or even newer work on it? Figured this would be the best place to ask.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:52 PM
There's a few places (like maybe bronco graveyard ?) that sell conversions. And the newer ones can be made to fit.
Not really worth the effort though IMHO.
My 95 w/drums will stop just as fast as my b-in - l's 2002 w/ discs. The back brakes really don't do much of the stopping - the front brakes probably do 75 %.
Better to put the money towards better front brakes.
I've never felt there was an issue with the stopping power on mine anyway. But I keep my brakes tip top and serviced all the time. That probably helps.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had read that around the internet. So with asking that. Is there a way to get rid of the noon floating rotors up front? Or should I just got with a really good set of those? Thanks in advance

Old 04-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Just a good set of rotors will work fine. New ones will have more metal so they will dissipate heat better, which is how they work (kinetic energy to heat energy). Worn or rusty ones won't do that as well.
Cross drilled have better heat dissipation so that's a thought, but it's more for racing.

If you want to do something a little better, I had a Bronco that I used a lot in the mountains in BC and being an automatic, the brakes were getting used a lot to go down.
I put brand new rotors up front and carbon metallic pads (hard to find and pricey) - what they did, other than stop better and stand up to the heat was impregnate the rotors with carbon after the first 500 clicks or so. Makes the rotor better able to stand up to heat, which could be an issue with regular brakes which would start to fade on a long trail heading down.
We would have to stop halfway to let standard brakes cool down, but the carbon metallics would go all the way down without fading. You could smell them, but they were still working.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Ok good deal. That will more likely work out for my down the road. Buddy has a 363 dart block we are going to build up. So stopping power will at some point become a issue lol. Thanks again for the help.

Quick Reply: 92-96 150 rear brakes