Pre-1997 Models

89 f150 no start--I screwed up!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 f150 no start--I screwed up!

Truck refused to start at my storage unit parking lot. Change starter no help. It would crank but not start, used jumped box to make sure battery is ok. Buddy comes to help and we swap battery from his truck, same problem, He remembers starter actuator breaks on theses trucks. When I bought it last year, truck had a household light switch and starter button in dash to fix broken column. I replaced column from pick-an-pull . Sure enough, year later, it is broken also. Two weeks later, finally have actuator replaced and column reassembled.( Don't ask!?!) Finally put truck together, connect battery and fry green wire from solenoid to alternator, and smoke comes out of radio. After two more days, realize battery was put in backwards, so I connected negative wire to solenoid. DOOH! Replaced green wire that was damaged, and of course no start. Then new solenoid, still doesn't crank, fuel pump doesn't click,yet warning lights function properly. Jumping solenoid contacts get whirring sound from startee, but still nothing. How many things have I screwed up?

QUESTION.....what additional damage have I done?!? Going to check if starter wire to solenoid gets 12v when turning key. Could I have fried the alternator? Checked all underdash fuses, they are ok. How do I check the relays under the hood? Naturally electrics is not my strongsuit, LOL. Getting a multimeter and test light tomorrow. Appreciate all input, dont want to just change out parts, Merry Christmas to all.. and it's a 4.9 six, 5 speed 1989 xlt lariet.

Quick Reply: 89 f150 no start--I screwed up!