Pre-1997 Models

93 300 I6 4.9L not running great need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 300 I6 4.9L not running great need help

I'm 19 and I bought this pickup with intentions of being able to drive it but i've had it for about 10 months and no luck.
Right now it's 50 miles away at my brothers (long story)and it's not in its proper running condition.
When I bought it I checked all the fuel injectors, spark plugs, wires, replaced spinning pin in distributor, tried to fix the timing back to tdc on cylinder 1. I replaced most of the vacuum hoses because they were all messed up when i bought it. Followed the reading on the hood.
I cleaned out the intake and throttle body.
The man I bought it from said the motor had 73k miles on it. My GF's father seems to think the motor is mechanically sound.
The truck will start no problem when it's cold and will idle all day. (A little rough and the gas smells rich) But will not start when hot. You have to wait for it to cool down to start it again.
It's also hard to keep it running down the road because it wants to die when you put it in neutral for a stoplight or sign. Requiring 3 feet in order to drive lol.
I recently moved it 2 weeks ago and as I was driving it 3 miles down the road the motor got very hot, started loosing all the power in 2nd gear, so I put it in 1st and rps were slowly dropping at full throttle and eventually died, had to tow it the rest of the way to my brothers house.
I recently came into a new full time job at a sandwich shop and I was just wondering if anyone out there knows anything about these motors that could maybe help me out, Thank you!

Last edited by Sterlingstr86; 11-04-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In your 2nd pick there seems to be a butt load of vac lines missing. If this picture is after you fixed the vacuum lines, then you need to start over.

What exactly did you do when you tried to set the timing back to TDC on #1?

The fuel smell, if you have been running it that way for very long, could be destroying the cats if they are still on the truck.

Is there a check engine light on? If so you need to pull the OBDI trouble codes and start there.

I would suggest you get a Haynes book and do some reading. There is no magic screw to turn to make it all better, so you need to take it one issue at a time.

It is a sweet looking truck though.

Good luck, Jim

Old 11-05-2015, 02:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgger
In your 2nd pick there seems to be a butt load of vac lines missing. If this picture is after you fixed the vacuum lines, then you need to start over.

What exactly did you do when you tried to set the timing back to TDC on #1?

The fuel smell, if you have been running it that way for very long, could be destroying the cats if they are still on the truck.

Is there a check engine light on? If so you need to pull the OBDI trouble codes and start there.

I would suggest you get a Haynes book and do some reading. There is no magic screw to turn to make it all better, so you need to take it one issue at a time.

It is a sweet looking truck though.

Good luck, Jim
That was before we fixed the hoses lol. I've got a haynes book and that's what i used to take apart my motor. I'm not completely sure about the timing but I did everything the book said to do and we took it out for a spin to test it and it seemed to be working, that was last winter.
It does have codes for some sensors but i've forgotten since then.
I think my cats might be clogged up so when I get it back Imma chop em off.
I've been saving some of my paychecks and I've got a guy 25 miles away that said he would work on it in his spare time. but thats in a couple of weeks when i can get someone to tow it.

Quick Reply: 93 300 I6 4.9L not running great need help