Pre-1997 Models

Going to replace my filler hose and outer hose

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to replace my filler hose and outer hose

1995 F150, 8cyl 5.0 Utility truck (not a regular bed, the one with the cabinets like the cable guy or AAA truck)

About to order this part from fuel filler website. It's an inner fuel filler neck hose and the large outer hose. Just wanted to ask if this is a big undertaking. It leaks gas after a couple of minutes when filling. This is what I found out from Google and Youtube: Pump stops cause there is air pushing back to the pump, makes sense so something is wrong with my filler neck or outer tube.
There is a piece of metal at the end of the tube that is by the tank, it is supposed to be there. I think this part is critical so don't break it.

http://imgur.com/YkSaUMP

This is the piece I'm getting.

http://www.fillernecksupply.com/1990...ip-front-tank/

My question is, does the long smaller tube go allll the way into the tank or just kinda halfway down and then it goes inside the larger tube?

What's confusing me is that the utility truck is wider than a normal bed. So if the inner tube is designed to go into the tank, (like a straw into a cup) then it won't fit. Or does it just empty into the bigger hose and the bigger hose just clamps onto the tank. And what is that piece of metal for on the bottom.

This is the outer hose.

http://www.fillernecksupply.com/1990...l-filler-hose/

Old 07-31-2015, 09:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ericantonio
It leaks gas after a couple of minutes when filling. This is what I found out from Google and Youtube: Pump stops cause there is air pushing back to the pump, makes sense...
That makes no sense. There's air everywhere, and if the fuel pump couldn't defeat it, the vehicle would never run. But the fuel pump has nothing to do with a fuel FILLER leak.
...does the long smaller tube go allll the way into the tank...?
Originally: yes. On yours: who knows? This shows the 2 styles of filler neck used on these trucks:

And what is that piece of metal for on the bottom.
My best guess is that it's there to keep the hose from collapsing when the water pump is pulling coolant out of the radiator.

What does it say on the hose? Something "...WSFLEX". Judging by the decay in that rubber, I'm going to say that's NOT fuel hose; it's radiator hose. That's probably why it's leaking.

BTW
If you wrap your image URLs in "[IMG]" tags, they'll show like this:

Last edited by Steve83; 07-31-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Thanks! That makes sense. Oh, when I meant pump, I meant the gas pump. Something about why it stops and I have to keep my hands on the handle squeezed while filling. Do you think it's okay NOT to have the smaller tube all the way into the tank? I was searching for hoses and filler neck supply online actually has that same tube as I have marketed as marine tube.

I guess the only way to do this is to remove the clamp by the tank and see if there is a smaller tube that goes all the way in. Which is hard cause I can barely get in there with my phone to take a picture. So if there is no inner tube, I guess I can just use a new marine tube. If there is an inner tube, then it's a bigger job cause I need to see if there is a hole in it.

Someone suggested that gas is leaking when I pump cause it comes back up from the smaller tube, and into the outer tube.

Oh, also the tube says Buckeye Bellowsflex. Quick google gave me this
http://spokanehose.com/product.php?id=4280
"Flexible, wire reinforced hose for use as a fuel fill connection on marine fuel systems. Meets U.S. Coast Guard standards for specification SAE J1527 Type B2 hose. " "Also is a versatile general purpose hose that can do everything regular Bellowsflex does and more at a slightly higher cost. " Continuous yellow lay line and embossed �SAE J1527 USCG Type B2 1993 BRP�. Steel wire reinforcement.

Last edited by ericantonio; 08-01-2015 at 10:32 AM. Reason: new
Old 08-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have some older factory filler hoses that haven't degraded 1/2 as much as that one - not really enough to notice. So however that one is marketed, I think it's junk. I'd look for something rated for gasohol that will last longer. Maybe go to an exhaust shop and get some aluminized steel pipe bent to fit in there so there's less rubber to degrade & leak. If they're really good, they can weld it up so that aftermarket hose is totally eliminated.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Steve83
I have some older factory filler hoses that haven't degraded 1/2 as much as that one - not really enough to notice. So however that one is marketed, I think it's junk. I'd look for something rated for gasohol that will last longer. Maybe go to an exhaust shop and get some aluminized steel pipe bent to fit in there so there's less rubber to degrade & leak. If they're really good, they can weld it up so that aftermarket hose is totally eliminated.
that's great advice! Thanks! I'm really tired of this gas leak when I pump. Probably cheaper and easier than getting the rear tank to work. I think my rear fuel pump is broken so I'd rather fix the front one (new pump this year). I think its just a couple of gallons difference between the front and rear anyway.

Quick Reply: Going to replace my filler hose and outer hose