Pre-1997 Models

Amsoil and oil guys i nees your help!

Old 07-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Here's what ya do. DO NOT send the filter to Amsoil. Keep it in a plastic bag so that it doesn't pick up dust, dirt, contaminates. Stand it somewhere where it can sit with the bottom down, holes up. Next, drain the oil into a CLEAN container making sure the oil is at least warm. Take a sample mid stream of its draining. Send it to any of the labs and you're going to ask for an oil analysis AND a Ferrography test. Make sure to send a letter along with it noting the engine, what you've done to it, how many miles, and what your concerns are. The analysis will give you a general idea of what is happening in the engine but the Ferrography will tell you exactly what wear metals are in the oil and they should give you a report stating from which parts the metals are from. They'll be able to compare your engine with similar parts/mileage and let you know if the particle counts are out of line. Depending on what you get back will depend on what you need to do next, if anything. You can put the oil back in the engine after getting your sample. If you don't know of a lab, most CAT dealers have labs or there's always Blackstone. In my experience with a bunch of 5.0s like yours, I've never heard one that I thought was quiet. They all sound like they have a slight rod knock even on a fresh rebuild so don't think it's trashed.....yet. Expect the testing to run ya about $100.00-$150.00 dollars. If it shows it's okay, you KNOW that nothing was hurt. If it shows up as damaged, you have it from a certified lab that damage has occurred and Amsoil MUST pay up or expect to lose in a lawsuit.
Oil analysis is a test for the oil
Ferrography is an analysis for the actual wear metals in the oil.
Thank you very much tye best info I have received yet...thanks again

Old 07-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Here's what ya do. DO NOT send the filter to Amsoil. Keep it in a plastic bag so that it doesn't pick up dust, dirt, contaminates. Stand it somewhere where it can sit with the bottom down, holes up. Next, drain the oil into a CLEAN container making sure the oil is at least warm. Take a sample mid stream of its draining. Send it to any of the labs and you're going to ask for an oil analysis AND a Ferrography test. Make sure to send a letter along with it noting the engine, what you've done to it, how many miles, and what your concerns are. The analysis will give you a general idea of what is happening in the engine but the Ferrography will tell you exactly what wear metals are in the oil and they should give you a report stating from which parts the metals are from. They'll be able to compare your engine with similar parts/mileage and let you know if the particle counts are out of line. Depending on what you get back will depend on what you need to do next, if anything. You can put the oil back in the engine after getting your sample. If you don't know of a lab, most CAT dealers have labs or there's always Blackstone. In my experience with a bunch of 5.0s like yours, I've never heard one that I thought was quiet. They all sound like they have a slight rod knock even on a fresh rebuild so don't think it's trashed.....yet. Expect the testing to run ya about $100.00-$150.00 dollars. If it shows it's okay, you KNOW that nothing was hurt. If it shows up as damaged, you have it from a certified lab that damage has occurred and Amsoil MUST pay up or expect to lose in a lawsuit.
Oil analysis is a test for the oil
Ferrography is an analysis for the actual wear metals in the oil.

I ordered a oil kit from blackstone Should I send new or the old oil beforr the change

Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send the oil that was in the engine when the amsoil filter was on it. THAT is the oil in question.

I had a problem with an Amsoil product, they allowed the Ford dealer to do the required testing and lookup of the problem. Amsoil was very honest and up front with me. It is a very good company.................

Old 07-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
Send the oil that was in the engine when the amsoil filter was on it. THAT is the oil in question.

I had a problem with an Amsoil product, they allowed the Ford dealer to do the required testing and lookup of the problem. Amsoil was very honest and up front with me. It is a very good company.................

We'll see what blackstone says in a couple of weeks and really hope Amsoil will make it right. I just hope its fixes that's all I want

Old 07-26-2013, 11:04 PM
So today I was under the hood on my truck I checked the oil it smells burnt! I opened a new bottle same thing it smells burnt too! Like its used and got really hot is this normal for amsoil? Anyone? Never smelt an oil brand new out of the bottle that smelled like this

Old 08-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Ok here's an update on this thread. I got the oil test kits in one from Blackstone and one from amsoil. Sent them off yesterday hopefully they fix what is wrong with my engine. Post questions or comments

Old 09-02-2013, 08:35 PM
whats the engine build specs.. and 2k for a rotating assembly??? bull****.. ya got ripped off..

15k for a engine build you better be making more than 800 hp...

Old 09-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Flareside302
whats the engine build specs.. and 2k for a rotating assembly??? bull****.. ya got ripped off..

15k for a engine build you better be making more than 800 hp...

1,700 actually. I bought all the parts myself I know how Much everything cost I'm making about 400 but its built to handle 1500 hp when I go TT soon

Old 09-03-2013, 12:20 PM
What's the actual specs though? And how are you so sure that its the filters fault?

Old 09-03-2013, 02:03 PM
What's the actual specs though? And how are you so sure that its the filters fault?

Whar specs do you need to know I can give you the part numbers to the rotating assembly. When I changed the oil on the engine (8qts) I filled the filter with one whole quart and put 7 in the pan started it up knocking like hell immediately turned the eengine off and checked level it was a little low I let it sit for half an hour it came back to normal level. I started it up and my oil pressure was at 75 psi and the pump went into bypass and brought it back down to 58 psi. It was still knocking. Called amsoil we are still working on the problem I have replaced all the bearings I don't have any bad knock anymore just trying to see if amsoil is going to pay for the repair. I had to change the oil again I sent samples to Blackstone and amsoil still waiting for results. I replaced the eao15 with a fl1a

Old 10-02-2013, 11:33 PM
So what happened? Peace, Dave

Old 10-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Probably nothing cause it probably wasn't a faulty filter.. I have one on my truck now, no issues whatso ever

Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Aww man, and I was so hoping. Lol, Peace, Dave.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Probably nothing cause it probably wasn't a faulty filter.. I have one on my truck now, no issues whatso ever

The back bearings were bad. I'm still working with amsoil. The inlet holes on that filter are pathetic I'll use motorcraft from now on.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
If you want a premium filter with media optimized for synthetic oils and extended drain intervals - and the Amsoil filter is unsat - the Mobil 1/K&N filters are excellent. Same filter, but the K&N has a nut welded to the end for easier removal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Amsoil and oil guys i nees your help!