Pre-1997 Models

broke a bolt in intake manifold

Old 06-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broke a bolt in intake manifold

Well I thermostat failed me in my sc truck attempted to change it out and broke a damn bolt! After soaking it in liquid wrench and working to get the bolt out for two days! Luckily my granddad was a machinist at the plant and knows how to fix it! Does anyone recommend something I can put on them bolts to keep this from happening again? Thanks

Old 06-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Never-Seize

Old 07-12-2013, 08:20 PM
First thing is to buy NEW bolts. I bet $50 your intake bolts are corroded also. Why not pop off the intake and change the gaskets and the pvc valve. This will give you a chance to "clean-up" the top have of the motor. Cough up a few bucks and laydown a new valve cover gasket and paint your valve cover, but dont let all that work go to waste. While your at it, lock down a set of Crane Roller Rockers and give your horse some new juice.

Last edited by FiddyCent; 07-12-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by FiddyCent
First thing is to buy NEW bolts. I bet $50 your intake bolts are corroded also. Why not pop off the intake and change the gaskets and the pvc valve. This will give you a chance to "clean-up" the top have of the motor. Cough up a few bucks and laydown a new valve cover gasket and paint your valve cover, but dont let all that work go to waste. While your at it, lock down a set of Crane Roller Rockers and give your horse some new juice.
The engine was fairly new I don't know they broke! The valve cover gaskets weren't leaking but I did have them painted black to match the truck. Thanks for the reply

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: broke a bolt in intake manifold