Pre-1997 Models

Driving 4 HI w/out hubs locked question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driving 4 HI w/out hubs locked question.

So I got myself a 1995 F150 4x4 manual transfer and manual hubs.
There is some problem with something cracked at the base of the shift lever or linkage. I was told they do that from being made of poor quality metal.

Anyhow, the man I purchased from didn't like messing with wiggling the transfer casr lever so he left it in 4 HI but left the manual hubs unlocked.

I'm thinking this may technically leave it in 2 wheel drive until you lock the hubs but would this not put wear on components still? That t-case would still be putting power to the front drive shaft. Should I be driving it like this. Me thinks not.

I'm used to my full time system in my old Grand Cheokee or a push button. (Or even vacuum lever action in the old AMC Eagles ) This would be my first 4x4 with this set up.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the transfer case in 4HI the front driveshaft is spinning, which in turn is spinning the pinion gear in the front axle. With the hubs unlocked that power isn't getting to the front wheels. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with this arrangement other than you'd be inducing premature wear in all the components. Its not advisable to drive like that as the system wasn't designed to function that way.

Then again, its not unheard of for folks to yank a bad rear driveshaft and drive around with the front wheels only... doesn't mean its a good idea, either.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:10 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
No, it won't hurt anything except in theory using .0001 gallons of more gas to spin everything. All winter I roll the other way of the hubs locked and transfer case in 2high in case I need it.

Also, not really a hard part to change or find one in the junkyard.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: Driving 4 HI w/out hubs locked question.