Pre-1997 Models

91 F-150 tow package wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 F-150 tow package wiring problem

My son attempted to install a brake controller and he really screwed up the wiring. When he plugged it in to test it, the trailer side ground wire fried completely and had to be replaced but the truck side wiring appears fine. I removed the controller completely and made sure all wiring was as it was before he spliced and diced and although all lights work just fine on the truck, there is absolutely no power whatsoever to the factory installed tow package trailer connector. There must be a fuse that blew but I can't find any blown fuses in the fuse block under the steering column. I do know Ford also used fusible links on this model but not sure where to look for the one that may be tied in to the trailer/tow wiring harness.

Already checked the relay and it clicks on and off noticeably with the proper resistance reading so don't think that's the problem. The later models have a small mini fuse box under the hood but I can't find anything similar.

It is an XLT Lariat standard cab 5.8L with A/C and 3 speed auto trans w/OD....any help is much appreciated, thank you!

Last edited by poloman57; 10-17-2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: add truck info
Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look under hood next to the fuel pump relay by the air box

Quick Reply: 91 F-150 tow package wiring problem