Pre-1997 Models

Trans issues, need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans issues, need some advice.

New to the forum, but I plan on sticking around. I've recently had an issue with my 95 F150. So let me take a second to explain, and I apologize in advance about it being kind of long, but I don't wanna leave out detail.

It started after I had parked my truck to do an interior swap, from red to grey. I finished the swap, and hopped in my truck to finally drive it again. All seemed well and then I noticed the clutch hydraulics losing pressure every now and then, I would pump it a few times, and it went back to normal. Then it started making a whizzing sound in reverse, when I started to let the clutch engage, and it did this everytime. Then it started doing it in the forward gears also. If I drove it for about 20 minutes the noise in the forward gears would go away, but reverse noise remained.

I was heading home from a long day's work, and downshifted to first gear, let the clutch out, and completely lost all clutch hydraulics. Powershifted it back home, and tore into it, thinking the slave cylinder had gone, and the release bearing was the culprit of the noises I was hearing.

Now the drivetrain is laying on the ground in my garage, and I haven't seen anything that stands out as to why I lost hydraulics, or anything to explain the noise. So my real question is, could the noise possibly be the reverse needle bearings in the trans, or possibly a worn input shaft bearing? The shaft does have some play in the shaft, but far less than some i've seen.

Master cylinder is new, and clutch is in great shape, slave cylinder/throwout bearing looks ok, and I did go as far as the check the thrust on the crankshaft, just to ensure the crank isn't walking at all. I'm stumped on trying to connect the dots between the noises I was hearing and losing the hydraulic pressure on the clutch line.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

:EDIT: Btw this is a 95 F-150 XL, 302, 4x4, m5od trans, borg 1356 transfer case.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:44 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
It's most likely the slave if it lost hydraulics. You may also have a sticky pilot bearing.

Quick Reply: Trans issues, need some advice.