Pre-1997 Models

1990 f-150 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 f-150 wont start

i have a 1990 f-150 with 5.8 and e4OD, grandpa's truck has been sitting for about 5 years.. put a fresh battery in and it fired right up. drove it out of the barn and up to the house. ithen proceeded to tune up th e engine. cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and changed the oil and filter. Also drained the transmisiion and changed the filter. truck was running good at this point. I then drove the gas station 1/2 mile away put 10 gallons of 93 octane in the rear tank wich was almost empty, and added a full can of sea foam to the tank. brought the truck home and let it run in the yard for about an hour. got the truck ready to drive and topped off the radiator. at this point the the truck started to sputter and then died. My first thought was the sediment from the tank plugged the fuel filter, so i then replaced the in line fuel filter, and still not able to start the truck.. at this point i was able to start the truck with a shot of ether. battery was getting low so i put the battery on charge for the night. the next morning i tried to start the truck with either and it would not fire.. at this time i found that the ground wire from the battery to engine block was corroded in and broke in two, so i replaced it. i have run a check on the coil and it passed i did get one bad reading on the ICM mounted on the side of the distributor, so i replaced it. and still i have no fire..the test light on the tach side of the coil when i crank the engine over it just goes dim and it does not flash or pulse like it getting any spark. if the fuel pressure is not adequate will the PCM not allow spark. or is it possible that the faulty ground damamged the PCM. i need this truck running and i'm at my wits end.. HELP

Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you replaced the ground cable did you make sure you still have the ground to the BODY and the Computer Ground wire from the NEG post of the battery?
Did you run the ground cable to the engine block and not just the frame?
It must go to the engine block. It can also go to the frame if you like but does not help going there unless you pull a trailer.

If the ground wires are good above then unplug the SPOUT and see if you get the test light to flash as it is cranked.

If still no flashes you may have a bad PIP sensor inside the distributor. You have to replace the stator to replace the PIP sensor or just replace the distributor.
OR
If you now get the test light to flash with the SPOUT removed as it is cranked then you may have a bad computer.

Quick Reply: 1990 f-150 wont start