Pre-1997 Models

86 F-150 XLT tailgate reflector, No Such Animal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 F-150 XLT tailgate reflector, No Such Animal?

Hi, A friend of mine has a 1986 F-150 that he bought new in '86. It's an XLT. He now has 130K one owner miles on the truck. It's never been wrecked and the tailgate has never been modified or changed. The tailgate has a big red plastic trim piece that goes across the whole gate from side to side. His reflector got cracked and is broken in half and he needs to replace it with a new one. Now I worked for a Ford dealer back in the 1970's and early 80's in the parts dept and I vaguely remember that reflector but neither one of us cannot find this part listed anywhere for an 86 f-150. The 86 Bronco had one and the '87-96 F-150 had one but both of those are supposedly different. This one has a chrome "XLT" emblem on it. I need to know what's up with this animal and does anyone have the correct Ford part number for this big red tailgate reflector? The number on the back of the part is a casting number, NOT the part number incase you're wondering. He already tried that. He came to me for help since I worked in a Ford parts dept. but that was a long time ago but this part has got me baffled. Anybody work for Ford that can look this up in the old parts book? I've got some old Mitchell crash books for the '86 F-150 but they don't show this part either. Has he got a white elephant? Help Please, Kenny.

Quick Reply: 86 F-150 XLT tailgate reflector, No Such Animal?