Pre-1997 Models

1994 Ford F-150 - rusted radiator, trying to fix up ext/int

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 Ford F-150 - rusted radiator, trying to fix up ext/int

In recent years, I got my grandfather's '94 F-150 (~140k miles now) and I'd really like to fix it up. Need a place to get tips.

Ideally, I'd like to put the time and money into it to make it look some of the awesome looking trucks in the show off thread. They motivated me even more!

For starters...

1) It sat unused for two years between my grandparents' passings. The radiator completely rusted out. Without considering this, I drove it for a a couple of years. The rust/gunk broke loose last summer, and I replaced the radiator. The replacement was a little too late, of course, as the rust had already been pumping out into other areas of the engine. The heat will occasionally stop working, and my mechanic flushes to get it back working, but this only lasts for a short while. Is there a fix for this? A friend recommended getting it power flushed, but the mechanics I spoke with felt like this would be too much for an older vehicle and cause all kinds of leaks. Can you find/fit new engines in these, or do I need to look at having this engine cleaned/rebuilt?

2) There are various, small cosmetic issues/parts inside I would like to resolve as well. Is there a parts store online for these sort of items?
a. Need a light cover for the light on the bottom inside of the driver side door.

b. Need a light cover for the overhead cab light. Is this a custom fixture added later, or were they available directly from Ford like this?

c. There's a crack in the door's inside, the plastic shell - are those available/expensive? Easy to replace?

d. There's wood lining all through the dash, doors, and the console itself is wood. In some areas, the wood has started to chip; console shows water damage. Fix? Possible to replace?
3) The headlights have condensation inside of them. I can't find the screws to get them out. Once I do, how to remove the condensation? Hair dryer? Oven? I have silicone sealer to reseal once they're dry.
4) Fiberglass trim along the bottom.
a. The fiberglass piece extending along the bottom of the bed on the driver side was stolen a few months ago. It's still there on the passenger side (second picture). Available? Expensive?

b. On both sides, there are a lot of white nicks. Pictured is by far the worst spot; sparse elsewhere. Are these worth fixing/painting over? Are the pieces inexpensive enough to just replace instead?
5) Paint.
In the last year, the paint has suddenly started to age. Is this from years of not waxing and such, or inevitable perhaps? I've taken great care to wash and maintain in the short time I've had it. Particular problem areas over the passenger side wheel and the roof; the hood looks like it might get there soon.

Also some streaks below certain window corners.
6) Is the bumper sagging a little? Should it come up on the ends, closer to the body?

Last edited by Slow Graffiti; 07-05-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a nice Flairside you have there! Where in NC are you located? What engine is in your truck?

First thing to do is to order some catalogs.
Dennis Carpenter
NPD
LMC Truck

All of these have online catalogs also. Dennis Carpenter will be the most expensive as they reproduce parts from the original Ford Motor Co molds. They also will have the highest quality.
Dennis Carpenter is in Concord NC and NPD has a store in Charlotte.

1. I'd just repeatedly flush the cooling system. Are there any overheating problems? You could use some cooling system cleaner if you like. I think worst case scenario would be freeze plug rust-out/leakage.
Back-flush the heater core or replace it if necessary after the cooling system clears out.
I don't think you need consider engine replacement at this early stage.

2a I'm not sure on the door lens. May still be available from Ford or grab one @ the salvage yard. I'll look up a part number later.

2b Lens is D2LY-13783-E Ford may have them or they are reproduced/sold by several vendors.

2c Door panels are ridiculously priced, $250.00 ea. so finding a good used one would save your $$$$.

2d The wood is custom, not Ford. Refinish as you would any furniture.

3 Replace the headlights. Aftermarkets are good and reasonably priced. Depo is a good brand (available from Certifit in Charlotte & Raleigh.)

4a OMG that's going to be a nightmare to find a replacement!

4b & 5 New paint job...........

6 Yes it's sagging a bit. You will have to check the bumper brackets, etc. to see why.

Quick Reply: 1994 Ford F-150 - rusted radiator, trying to fix up ext/int