Pre-1997 Models

84 f150 i6 clutch and oil pan help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 f150 i6 clutch and oil pan help

I am in the process of replacing my clutch (first time I ave ever done this) I have been shopping around for a while and got a good deal on rockauto. when I removed my old pressure plate and clutch disk (i think thats what its called) iI noticed it was much heavier than what was in the box. When i removed the new one from the box it is about an inch smaller thank the old one, if I am correct this will not work right? I dont think the bolts would even line up to the flywheel. I called them and they were very helpful and said that that was the correct part number I recieved but it was odd that it is smaller. Is this normal maby its a light or standard clutch compared to and HD clutch that was originally installed. I just hate to send it back and pay return shipping and have to buy another at a higher price. I have the 4 speed manual and it is 2 wheel drive. At least I got my rear main seal replaced and am currently working on the oil pan gasket but I cant seem to get the oil pan out completely, I think its the oil lifter pump thats holdinh me up. Is there any tricks to this without lifting the engine?

Old 06-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im hoping the clutch kit will fix my problem, it is hard to get into 1st gear after im stopped at a red light or just starting to pull out, also when going into reverse from a complete stop with the pedal to the floor it grinds when putting into reverse, it isnt bad when going thru the gears, sometimes it is a little stiff. I just figured with its age and 90k miles on it its about shot. Just need to get this bit$h back on the road. Its been sitting in pieces for 2 weeks now.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Lebanon boy huh?

Anyway, yeah, there are a few different clutch sizes available depending on the drivetrain combo, so one part number per year isn't sure fire. Chevy smallblocks are even worse.

I defiantly only buy my parts at the local Napa after I pulled them off the truck to be sure I got the right one. Plus they still actually have books to look up dimensions.

Sounds like your throwout bearing isn't moving enough, shot, and/or the pressure plate is tired. Either way, all new will get you moving again, and I'd run the bigger setup if you can track down the right parts.

Adrianspeeder

Old 06-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To get the oil pan off all the way just turn the crank pulley with the belt off. Trust me there is a sweet spot to it. Just keep turning it till it gives you enough room for it to come out. It is going to be tight but it is achievable to remove.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also forgot to mention take the motor mounts off and raise the engine up. I use 2x4s i put the between the motor mounts and the frame.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:32 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
Your clutch symptoms actually sound like a sticky pilot bearing - make sure you replace it.

Quick Reply: 84 f150 i6 clutch and oil pan help