Pre-1997 Models

1994 F-150 4.9 E40D SD to MAF

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 F-150 4.9 E40D SD to MAF

First let me introduce myself. I live in Fort Worth Texas and bought my truck used in 1995. About 3-4 years after I bought my truck I started having all the tranny problems and being young I just flushed the fluid regularly to prolong the inevitable rebuild. So now fast forward after years of torgue converter shudder I decided last year with my son starting college I would fix up the old Ford. I rebuilt the Tranny with all the upgrades and WOW what a difference. I have started doing the body work getting her ready for a fresh skin and now am working my way into the motor.

OK so I have ben doing a ton of reading to the point my eyes are hurting from looking at computer screens. I would preferr a conversion kit to convert from Speed Density to Mass Air Flow. I have seen kits for 302, 351, and 460's but no kits for the 4.9. If a kit is non existent is there a detailed write up that any of you know of for this conversion?

My reasons for swapping and correct me if I am wrong are slight improvements in fuel economy and I am also looking at a cold air intake with Cat back performance exhaust. I just bought a 24' fifth wheel trailer and want the best I can get from my big six.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:09 PM
The only MAF 4.9s are the 96 and 97 trucks. They are also OBD-II which would require a pretty extensive rework to implement on your 94. On an engine with no internal modifications there is virtually nothing to be gained by switching to MAF. Don't count on much besides increased noise from the CAI. Limit the exhaust upgrade to 2-1/2" if you are looking for a tow pig.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:06 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You want to tow a 5th wheel with a F-150 with a 6? Good luck, you will probably be way over limits. Wrong tool for the job.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You want to tow a 5th wheel with a F-150 with a 6? Good luck, you will probably be way over limits. Wrong tool for the job.
Well it is a 24' ultralite weighing in at 4200lbs making a half ton with one of the strongest 6 cyclinders ever made the perfect tool for the job.

Now back on topic to Ranger, Ive been reading you can get 1-4 more mpg, better throttle response throuhout, and more low end torque by making the change. I wish there was more reliable information out there. I knew the 96s had OBDII and was wanting to stay away from that mess. Anyways any advice other than buying a new truck is welcomed. I can do alot to this old truck for what I am saving.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:02 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I don't doubt that the engine can pull it, but you do need to research the load ratings of the truck. Betcha with the pin weight you will be over GVWR. I may be wrong, but you DO need to run the numbers.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Intimnasc
Now back on topic to Ranger, Ive been reading you can get 1-4 more mpg, better throttle response throuhout, and more low end torque by making the change. I wish there was more reliable information out there. I knew the 96s had OBDII and was wanting to stay away from that mess. Anyways any advice other than buying a new truck is welcomed. I can do alot to this old truck for what I am saving.
I repeat you would see zero difference in performance or in mileage with an MAF swap even if it were readily available which it most definitely is not.

All that MAF gives you is more flexibility for internal engine mods which you are not contemplating and a somewhat cleaner exhaust.

What rear axle ratio do you have? At 4200 lbs you could be pushing or exceeding the limit

Quick Reply: 1994 F-150 4.9 E40D SD to MAF