Pre-1997 Models

rebuilt 400 and cant get oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuilt 400 and cant get oil pressure

ok ive got a late 70s pickup as a side project it has a rebuilt 400 in it and i cant seem to get any oil pressure at the guage ive used the drill for probably 30 mins or so and all i get is a constant drip out of the line i have tryed changing the pump and i can tell its primed because there is about 20 pounds of pressure on the drill as it rotates and when it stops i can hear oil running to the pan i just cant get it at the rockers or any pressure at the guage i did get a small amount of oil at the drivers side rockers after i fired it for a min and shut it back down any ideas as to why i cant get oil pressure? ive thought of running keroseen and atf in it to try to help clean somthing that my machine guy missed im just out of ideas and really dont wanna pull that turd again

Old 08-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I cant think of an solution.. could be your missing a plug/restrictor. post your question here
http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/
There are lots of 335 engine experts on that board..

Old 08-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Like he said, you're missing a plug. Wherever it is, it has to be internal or there would be oil on the floor. I don't know the oiling pattern on a 335 but I'd bet that the culprit is at the front end of the oil galleys which feed the cam and lifters. Pull the timing cover, run the oil pump with a drill and the problem should be obvious.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:06 PM
i will give it a shot the only other plug ive seen was on the back of the block but im not getting oil on the floor i hope that its just as easy as pulling the cover if not i think im gonna yank it and drop it off in the river aznd go get a crate motor! thanks for the suggestions guys i will repost when i find the problem

Quick Reply: rebuilt 400 and cant get oil pressure