Pre-1997 Models

89 F150 no power/no start solenoid relay problems?

Old 05-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 F150 no power/no start solenoid relay problems?

1989 F150 5.0L 4x4

I drove home last night and parked the truck, turned her off. A minute later I got back in turned the key to start her, one single loud click from the starter relay (passenger side fender near the battery). Then no power, no start, no click, no nothing after that. Went to bed, it was late.

Early morning try again. Turned the key, dash lights and gauges came on, everything looked as usual. Turned the key to start her, one loud click from the relay. Then no power, no start, no click, no nothing after that. Went to work.

Brought battery to NAPA, they said everything ok with the bat. Picked up a new relay. Tried to start her as is, one more time. Turned the key, dash lights on. Turned to start her, one loud click from the relay. Then no power, no start... you get it.

Installed the new relay, jumped in her, she fired right up. Let her run for a minute. Turned her off. Drank a Miller High Life. Tried her again, turned the key to start one loud click from the new relay. Then no power, no start, no click, no nothing!

Tried to jump the relay (to large posts), nothing.

Took off battery negative and positive, cleaned, lubed and put back on. Got back in her turned the key, power on. Checked headlights - perfect. Dash lights on. Turned the key to start. One loud click from the relay then nothing all over again.

Tested battery voltage 12.3V.

Tested battery positive to relay negative 12.3V.

Tested battery negative to relay positive 3.5V????

Took off battery negative and positive, put back on. Checked headlights and dash everything perfect. Did not try to start the truck. Went right to the relay.

Tested battery negative to relay positive 12.3V.

Tried to start her, one loud click then nothing all over again. Ran right to the relay again.

Tested battery negative to relay positive 4.6V?

WTF?

Battery is good, connections seem good, everything is testing out after I disconnect and reconnect the battery. Furthermore, the new relay started her right up on the virgin try and now nothing?

Why does the relay positive drop from 12.3V to 3.5V and 4.6V and stay there after this? and then resets after I disconnect and reconnect battery positive and negative?

Before I start the random replace this and swap out that... what am I missing here?

Thanks for any leads and info!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did some more trouble shooting today. I jumped grounds and did a few other things that turned out to do nothing.

What worked was, I bypassed the battery positive wire from the battery to the solenoid with a jumper cable. Red handle to battery positive, other red handle to relay positive.

Truck cranked right over.

Turned out to be a bad wire from the battery positive to the relay. Replaced the wire. Starts right up.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cool. It dropped measured voltage due to the higher resistance in the failed cable.

Adrianspeeder

Old 05-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
These captions describe how to repair a bad cable:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 89 F150 no power/no start solenoid relay problems?