Pre-1997 Models

Going from GMC to Ford

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going from GMC to Ford

Im sure yall will love hearing this... I got an 03 Sierra z71 and am thinking about getting rid of it and getting a 90-97 f150. Was wanting yalls input on these fords. What to look for and what to avoid. Ive owned 2 mustangs and a 97 f250 newer body style so I have always been a ford guy, just been stuck with a GM the past two years. I am possibly going to a college 200 miles away from home next school year so would it be practical to rely on a truck like this to get me home 1 or 2 weekends a month? Im hoping to find a farely clean 4wd but im sure thats going to be hard to find. Id like to put the 35" MTZs I just bought for the Sierra on the ford if I got one but I dont know what it would take to get them to fit? How hard/expensive is it to lift these trucks? Are any years in this body style straight-axle? I have always loved these trucks but know very little about them. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:15 AM
Old 04-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by tdgmc03
I am possibly going to a college 200 miles away from home next school year so would it be practical to rely on a truck like this to get me home 1 or 2 weekends a month?

depends on how well the truck was taken care of, ive driven mine cross country and put 25K miles on it that year. i also drive about 170 miles every 3 weeks to my parents property in N. FL. half the time im towing my atv trailer or hauling 900 lbs in the bed on the way up there

Im hoping to find a farely clean 4wd but im sure thats going to be hard to find.

they can be found just gotta look hard. i'd look for a truck with a 351.

Id like to put the 35" MTZs I just bought for the Sierra on the ford if I got one but I dont know what it would take to get them to fit?

recommend a 6 inch lift they can fit with a 4 inch lift but will rub the inner fenders.

How hard/expensive is it to lift these trucks?

lift is easy, me and one buddy had mine fully done in less than 12 hrs without use of air tools. lifts are cheap, i paid about $550 for my 6" rough country lift... i'd re gear to atleast 4.56's for 35's

Are any years in this body style straight-axle?

no, last year for a solid axle in f150/250 was '79. SAS are pretty easy for our trucks change a few brackets and its all bolt-on. i will be doing a custom SAS in a few weeks when i get the last of my parts in.

I have always loved these trucks but know very little about them. Any help would be appreciated.
i will be doing a custom 4-link SAS in a few weeks when i get the last of my parts in.

these trucks are fairly easy to work on, pretty simple...

i love my truck and would never get rid of it.

Last edited by aswaff400; 04-27-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 PM
thanks man for all the help. Your truck in ur sig looks really good, definitely persuading me even more.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:52 PM
thanks man, heres some more inspiration:
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...uck/?start=all
http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/x...400/?start=all

i have close to 40K miles on my lift havent had any major problems. only problem i had was the i-beam brackets kept coming loose after some heavy 'wheelin in Colorado so i just welded everything on(can bee seen in 2nd photobucket) welds look crappy but they are strong, and only temporary.

heres another gallery with more recent pics
http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/p...&cutoffdate=-1

Last edited by aswaff400; 04-27-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Going from GMC to Ford