Pre-1997 Models

Opinions on what mods to intoduce to my 393 stroker

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on what mods to intoduce to my 393 stroker

Im new to this forum and I would like to hear some good opinions about my future 351 stroker build. I own a 96 f150 xlt 4x4 ext cab with an E40d tranny. I bought a 93 351 block from the junk yard a couple weeks ago to start building on. It isnt a daily driver and I like to play in the mud and sand. My current mods are a 3" body lift with some 35" maxxis mudder Buck Shots and they work good for now but there is a taller suspension lift and bigger tires and a spool in the rear diff with an adjustable locker in the front after I get through with the stroker build. My budget for the motor build is 10 grand. Im going with a 393 stroker kit with forged crank,rodsetc.. Im going to put some badass aluminum heads with a supercharger on it also. I currently have the original gears(3:55's) and I would like to keep it that way. I want enough torque and H.P to turn the 42" swampers at high RPM. Im not just blowing smoke, this is a serious build for me and Im going to make it happen slowly since parts are very expensive and I do have a family that comes first. I would like to hear about some good combos of pistons,heads(chamber size also),injector sizes,etccc.. Thank you for any info. Built Ford tough even though Ive got problems with her currently(its my fault). A Titan or Tundra couldnt put up with half the Hell I put this Ford through. Shes tried and True!!!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:07 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
procharger F1A using a a powerstroke air to air intercooler

42# injectors, depending on what pistons you'll run I'd go for 9.5-10.0 compression

Last edited by stoffer; 05-21-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Bump..I appreciate the reply. But youre the only one so far, I guess I should have posted this in the supercharger/turbocharger section since its about all the mods I am doing and this section seems to be stock only. Theres gotta be some players and racers in this section. Its nice to hear from people that know about these engines(302's and 351's) not just 4.6's and 5.4's. Thats why I posted this here. Im patient though, especially since I dont have alot of experience with mods.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:32 PM
if you plan on running 42's, i'd go with a lower gears maybe 4.88's, even though its a play truck, you'll roast your tranny in a heartbeat running stock gears and a built engine... and if you do bog down and get stuck, you wont have enough low-end torque to yank yourself out. hp/tq numbers dont mean squat if it cant but used to its full potential IMO... and it would suck if you had to do major work to it after every 3 or 4 trips out

although just blasting through a bog with the pedal on the floor is fun, constantly replacing all the other drive line parts ain't! lol

Old 06-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by aswaff400
if you plan on running 42's, i'd go with a lower gears maybe 4.88's, even though its a play truck, you'll roast your tranny in a heartbeat running stock gears and a built engine... and if you do bog down and get stuck, you wont have enough low-end torque to yank yourself out. hp/tq numbers dont mean squat if it cant but used to its full potential IMO... and it would suck if you had to do major work to it after every 3 or 4 trips out

although just blasting through a bog with the pedal on the floor is fun, constantly replacing all the other drive line parts ain't! lol
well said.

a stock 96 f150 drive train will NOT stand up to a stroked motor and W a supercharger, forget it, a ujoint, axle shaft or the like will snap.
only a fool would try to run half ton running gear w/ 42's and a 393 as a mud truck and think it would last more than a couple of runs. a ford 8.8 is not a great axle and "adjustable" lockers don't exist. it would either be a limited slip/posi, detroit automatic locker or selectable locker such as an OX or traclock with would destroy a factory 8.8 w/ that motor selection.

Ford 9" or dana 60s' can be had pretty cheap, aren't that expensive to build strong and there are good locker selections for both. getting a ford or dodge 1 ton running gear would be a simple way to get the heavy axles needed for mudding w/ that type of motor. a junked 2000 SD or dodge would be cheap and you could part the rest of the vehicle and you could prolly brake even.

good luck and do it right the 1st time.
BTW, read a write up in mustang muscle and fast fords did a 351-393 stroker w/ trick flow heads/intake they were putting down almost 400 rwhp in a streetable setup. i spoke to TFS recently since i have a 351 in my bronco and they advised using the factory intake w/ TFS heads for a rebuild.

here is my email to TFS.
either way good luck.

To:
powerlifter405@sbcglobal.net
I would use our standard Twisted wedge heads 170cc, stage I cam TFS-51402000 and a factory intake to maintain the low end torque. If you decide to go larger on the cubic inch I would maintain the heads and cam but look into our 351W EFI intake.

Gregg Changet
Trick Flow Tech
E-mail: GChanget@trickflow.com
Ph# 330-630-1555 ext. 4694
Fax# 330-633-2504

----- Original Message -----
To: gchanget@trickflow.com
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 11:08 PM
Subject: 1994 351 5.8L ford [TTI2009060500000002479811]

Hi there,
need ur input on a few items. I have a 1994 bronco w/ the 351 5.8L. Its a 4x4 and will be used as such. I need more low end grunt, i'll be going to 38-40" tires in the future w/ the appropriate gear change. It has an auto and it will be still used a a daily driver.
which of your applications, ie.. cam, intake and heads would work best for this set up. I have thought about punching it out to 375+ cid. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Opinions on what mods to intoduce to my 393 stroker