Pre-1997 Models

Strange Starting Problem!!??

Old 05-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Starting Problem!!??

Well the other night my 86 F150 had been sitting for a few hours, I came back out to leave and it would turn over strong but never would start. Eventually after the battery was on its way to death, and after I had paced around and hit the truck, I determined it must be some of fuel pick up problem. But I am far from a mechanic so I really dont have a clue.

But I decided for some reason, as a last try I would switch my tank to the rear setting which hardly any gas in it. It turned over and fired up, while sputtering and continued to run. I then decided to try to switch it back over to front because I was sure their was very little gas in the rear tank. I switched it and it continued to run, but for a short time had a slight clicking sound, but eventually went back to normal. And now of course it seems to start fine.

This has occurred a few times but usually it will just start eventually, without switching tanks, and sometimes goes months without this occurring at all.

So what do you guys think??????

Old 05-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Click my black Bronco in my sig & read the captions in the '84-89 Fuel Reservoir album. Try a can of Berryman's B-12 Chemtool pour-in from Wal-Mart or any parts store. Instructions are on the can.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange Starting Problem!!??