Pre-1997 Models

87 dual fuel tank switching and gauge problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparkplug5193
I have a similar problem with my 87 except its always registers over full. And when the tank gets down to about a 1/4 the hand will flop back and forth. but when my truck is on and sitting still it registers full and when i press the gas and start moving it flops back and forth from full to empty
At least yours still moves, mine wont drop below full until i am about five miles to empty

Old 09-16-2009, 07:32 AM
dang dude that sucks. i went to an auto shop to see what it would cost to get mine fixed they said i would have to replace the whole fuel pump b/c you cant buy just one part and it would be about $500 to replace.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:45 PM
similiar problem

Might be old forum but I had same problem recently. Front tank leaks bad, old n corroded. Switched to rear tank then runs fine. Today truck acted like it was out of gas.
Switched to front. Runs good. Problem theres prolly not much going in front tank if any so im assuming its running on back. This reason is because the front leaks and smell of gas bad when it runs or has fuel in it.
Jus saying its probably stuck on back now I hope. My solution for now is keeping a gas can in back to be on the safe side. Happy problem solving

Old 04-17-2015, 08:16 PM
update

Ok it was back tank giving me problems. Luckily i had gas can n bed. So I poyred n front tank gave it a few pumps n drove it home.
So im guessing sincr no fuel was going like out of gas , even tho it (rear tank) ran great yesterday its sending unit or something, I doubt valve is stuck since front switched over quixkly and ran.
It does have idle issues, it stalls at lights and in reverse sometimes. Putting in neutral seems to help at red lights.
The rear tank has at least six gallons n it.
So n a nutshell. Front tank has leak bad; and rear now has issues prolly sending unit or who knows what.
I think valve is operational as switch quickly goes from front to back. Why it would quit working that quickly is what gets me.

Originally Posted by samorano
Might be old forum but I had same problem recently. Front tank leaks bad, old n corroded. Switched to rear tank then runs fine. Today truck acted like it was out of gas.
Switched to front. Runs good. Problem theres prolly not much going in front tank if any so im assuming its running on back. This reason is because the front leaks and smell of gas bad when it runs or has fuel in it.
Jus saying its probably stuck on back now I hope. My solution for now is keeping a gas can in back to be on the safe side. Happy problem solving

Quick Reply: 87 dual fuel tank switching and gauge problems