Pre-1997 Models

What is this part called?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is this part called?!

I had to replace my thermostat....and of course I cracked the thermostat housing tightening the bolts...and went off to get another one...

So, now I can't get the piece that screws into the housing off! It's the part where the coolant sensor screws in, and where a small outlet hose connects.

I've done the whole PBblaster thing...it's not coming off.

I assumed it was called "coolant sensor housing", but I can't find that anywhere. Can't find a parts place that has anything close to this part.

Anybody have any ideas???? Or if you have a factory manual, if you could look it up for me.

On the autozone pic below, it doesn't show it. It's the piece that SCREWS INTO the water/thermostat housing....where that hole on the top is.

Last edited by saint_berzerker; 02-03-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cant get the sensor or plug out of the old housing? put it on a bench vise and it should be able to come out. or just get a new plug/sensor whichever you have for the new thermostat housing. i'm guessing thats what your talking about. what year and motor do you have?

Last edited by Matts ford; 02-03-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Ugh...thought I had my specs in my sig...by guess not. 1st deadly sin of Forums.

96 f150 4.9L

Yes, it's the "housing" where the coolant sensor screws into...not the sensor itself. It's the piece where the coolant flows upward passing the sensor.

This piece has a long steel shaft where a hose clamps.

It's just weird that I can't find any info on this piece.

Thanks Matt!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Hot Water Heater Elbow Connection"

The base part number is 18599, it is item #57 on the Engine Components, Upper diagram for a '96 4.9 in the Ford Dealers computer system There is more to the P/N but it's not in the service manual but that should get the parts guy started.

Or there's the junkyard.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by StrangeRanger
"Hot Water Heater Elbow Connection"

The base part number is 18599, it is item #57 on the Engine Components, Upper diagram for a '96 4.9 in the Ford Dealers computer system There is more to the P/N but it's not in the service manual but that should get the parts guy started.

Or there's the junkyard.

Man, thanks StrangRanger.....I really appreciate your looking this up.

I've got it soaking in PBblaster, but if I still can't get it off, I'll get a new one. Since I bent it all up, I'll probably just get a new one anyhow.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: What is this part called?!