Pre-1997 Models

replacing fender panels

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing fender panels

I just bought my first 4x4, 1986 ford f-150 (of course) with 7" lift and swampers. body is in bad shape for show. I wanted to start by replacing the front fender panels. Can someone share with me what I can expect when going about doing this? how many bolts and maybe what else would have to be removed to accomplish this. BTW, i am not restoring for show condition, just want the rust gone so it will last longer and look decent in my neighborhood. this is my hunting truck....

I ordered my chilton AND haynes guides today so I will wait on the rest of the questions till I get these and look over all the info supplied. I am thinking these guides dont have body replacement info in them hence my questions.

thanks!

Last edited by Frank Castle; 01-19-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:07 PM
wrong section

Old 01-19-2009, 11:17 PM
yeah i'm not really sure about how many bolts but its not that hard some of my other friends have done it. as for the rust put some por15 on it. i am doin the same thing with my 92. i'm in the process of sanding and prepping for paint. i'm goin with a flat black paint as to not show the imperfections.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Titanium
wrong section
hmmm... big help. I am new here, you tell me wrong section but dont say where I should have posted this. Thanks for wasting yours and my time...

Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by 92goose
yeah i'm not really sure about how many bolts but its not that hard some of my other friends have done it. as for the rust put some por15 on it. i am doin the same thing with my 92. i'm in the process of sanding and prepping for paint. i'm goin with a flat black paint as to not show the imperfections.
yeah I can do that on the hood, but the fender panel was bent and rusted from the door being torqued closed. I want to replace it, just not sure how much work is involved. I saw the bolts under the hood, but not sure what else is attached and also wondering if there are some things that will need to be removed in the process also to get it done. if anyone has a site that would detail something like this, let me know. thanks for the info on the por15, that should work on all the other spots other than the bed fenders which are rusted through... if I put that on there, will it bond and actually stop it from rusting further?

Old 01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
yeah it bonds with the rust and completly stops it. its a little pricey but form my experience works the best. and i think the fender is also attached at the bottom. if you are gettin the fender from a junkyard i would just ask them most places have a pretty knowelgeable staff that can help atleast my ford junkyard does.

Quick Reply: replacing fender panels