Pre-1997 Models

92 F-150 Ignition Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 F-150 Ignition Overhaul

I have a 1992 Ford F-150 with the 300ci Straight-6. I have a few mods, such as a Summit 3" Exhaust and have the plans and parts for a Big, Forced Air Intake Box, and taking out the Clutch Fan and a replacement elec fan.

But I want to get serious with adding some Low end horsepower and torque, with spark. I was looking in the Summit catalog, and I was wondering my options as far as everything from the Distributor to the Coil, to the Wires and Plugs.

So my 2 questions are, has anyone put an aftermarket Ignition Coil, or Distributor into their 4.9 liter Ford F150, and what kind of results did you get? And my second question is, Does anyone know if it's even possible to take out the distributor and install an Electronic Ignition?

Old 07-13-2008, 12:58 PM
You already have an electronic ignition. Unless your ignition is failing, you will receive no gain by installing a new ignition system. The factory system is excellent.

I've done it, believe me; it's a waste of money if your current ignition is working.

It wouldn't hurt to put on new wires and a set of plugs, but don't waste your money as it won't make a difference unless your current parts are trashed, and even then hi-po parts won't give you any more power than OEM parts.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:06 PM
you could stick a hotter spark plug in it. it wont do much but its a start on what you want. i would slowly switch everything over to msd as everything fails, if they fail. its not worth the money just for modifying because you wont notice much of a difference. just to let you know, ford distributors can hold up to 9000 rpm, you should stick with factory unless your planning on running your truck at 11000 rpm, thats when you go with msd. the msd coil puts out more spark though.

Last edited by Matts ford; 07-13-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by PKRWUD
You already have an electronic ignition. Unless your ignition is failing, you will receive no gain by installing a new ignition system. The factory system is excellent.

I've done it, believe me; it's a waste of money if your current ignition is working.

It wouldn't hurt to put on new wires and a set of plugs, but don't waste your money as it won't make a difference unless your current parts are trashed, and even then hi-po parts won't give you any more power than OEM parts.
Well i need a tune up, and i'm no mechanic. But I can feel when my car is not up to speed. It's definitely been lagging on throttle response, and it feels like the ignition. Do you know where I can find the specs on the 4.9's Ignition system, for testing purposes? And MSD was my favored choice, but what I need is more Low end power, and more torque throughout the band. My red line is 5500 or so, I don't ever hit that, the truck has plenty of power to get me around, and I haven't had any trouble hauling or towing anything. It's the gas mileage I want to increase, and it doesn't hurt to add a couple of Horses while i'm at it.

So if ignition isn't the way to go with extra power, what is? I want more power and towing capacity, and basically better gas mileage through having less throttle for more power. I don't want to do serious work like Cam switches, and I most definitely don't need to switch to a 5.0, it's a waste, I get the same Torque, and about the same power. Not for ***** out racing, or strip, but for gas mileage. I've done the math, if I spend $1000 on gas saving parts for a total 5mpg average more (seems impossible, but you hear things.)
So over the course of 1 year, any upgrades would pay for themselves. Is a higher ratio Underdrive pulley worth it? I don't have power windows, or doors.

Mostly as I've said, the gas crunch is killing me, I live in NY, I paid $4.28 for 87!! And it goes up so often, it was 4.10 at the start of June, and a buddy of mine that runs a gas station says this Tuesday it's going up another 8 cents. But I need the truck for my lifestyle and business. I also am moving cross country, and with a trailer i'm worried it will have trouble over the Rockies.

Last edited by F150_tftmc; 07-13-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:41 PM
A tune up is a great idea, but don't waste your money on high dollar parts.

What tranny and rear gears do you have?

Old 07-13-2008, 02:07 PM
A tune up is a great idea, but don't waste your money on high dollar parts.

What tranny and rear gears do you have?
I have a 5spd (I believe it's the Mazda, but unsure) and the Final Drive should be the 3.08 according to the measurements. Truck is from Ohio, and I didn't know the previous owners or what they did, but I know they changed the Tranny. The Dash has the PRND2L on it, and the on column shifter linkage is still there, so it was an automatic. Which made me think it was the 2.73 Rear end, but the Driveshaft and Rear end look "newer" and in the manual it says the inner diameter of each rear end, and it matched the 3.08. so i'm pretty sure it's the 3.08 rear end, and that's what generally came with the 4.9 and some 5.0 engines w/ 5spds

Also, yes i've looked up the Distributor info, it's a pretty impressive setup. I'm probably just going to put in regular Ford Motorcraft Plugs, cap and rotor. But as far as the wires, i'm probably going to get a better set. I like to have a nicely insulated, high gauge wiring.

But still, anyone upgrade their 300ci's? I know there is lots of swappable parts from the 1996-2004 4.6 V8 and 4.2 V6 that I can grab from a junk yard. I do also need to do install a clutch kit, my throwout bearing is ****ting out, and needs to be sprayed weekly with Lithium Grease to keep it running smooth for now, until I get the time to install a new clutch kit.

But besides my other questions, any good parts I could rip out of newer 96-04 Ford Trucks. I'd like to mention I have the Dual Throttle Bodies, I believe 2-35mm. That is a problem when it comes to building a nice forced air kit. (I'm not spending 200 bucks for a pipe with a nicer filter on it)

Last edited by F150_tftmc; 07-13-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:15 PM
First thing I would do would be to get a set of 3.55 gears.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:22 PM
First thing I would do would be to get a set of 3.55 gears.
that's what I hear to do. Any trucks you know I could rip one out of? Or would I have to get one new out of Summit or one like that. I see one online for 150, plus 99 from summit for housing (which i need, my rear end looks like CRAP.)

Last edited by F150_tftmc; 07-13-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Lots of F150's had them. Inside the drivers side door jamb there should be a Vehicle Certification Label with lots of codes on it. near the middle of the bottom row is a place where it says "AXLE." You want a code H9 or 19. They are both 3.55, but the H9 is a limited slip rear end (better).

Old 07-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Lots of F150's had them. Inside the drivers side door jamb there should be a Vehicle Certification Label with lots of codes on it. near the middle of the bottom row is a place where it says "AXLE." You want a code H9 or 19. They are both 3.55, but the H9 is a limited slip rear end (better).
yeah I slip all the time, lots of stop signs on hills around here. I believe the 3.08 already has limited slip. So I need it, and probably won't get a new rear end without it. Thanks, any other suggestions?

Also I'd like to mention I want to build a Cold/Forced Air kit, save some green, anyone know where to find a build your own kit?

Old 07-13-2008, 02:55 PM
I have always said that the single best thing I ever did to my truck was put in a K&N FIPK. I did a custom install giving it a "ram air" affect, but I can't swear that made any difference. The poor mans way of making one is to cut the bottom off of the stock airbox.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:23 PM
I have always said that the single best thing I ever did to my truck was put in a K&N FIPK. I did a custom install giving it a "ram air" affect, but I can't swear that made any difference. The poor mans way of making one is to cut the bottom off of the stock airbox.
that's more or less what i was going to do. but my airbox braces where you place the screws have broken, so i need to go to a junkyard and get a new one, buy new piping and put the intake mouth piece and put the cone tip K&N filter facing the grill. I don't go off roading, so I don't have to worry about water getting in there.

I've heard the 2 things holding back horses is the exhaust (catback) and intake. I've already handled one, by getting a 3in Summit Racing Y Pipe, like you said I know it feels better, but I can't prove it really did much. But it sure feels like I opened it up more.

I'll let you guys know how it feels after I tune it up. As far as plugs are concerned anyone see those new Titanium or Iridium spark plugs. I don't like the platinums, they burn out too fast and I'd take a good pair of Champions over them anyday. The only thing special I think i'd get is wires, to resist heat and get a better flow for the spark.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:31 PM
These engines hate platinum, or any other new design plugs. The best results I've had were with Champion Truck Plugs, but I don't think they make them anymore.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:25 PM
I went to the local stores, looking for those Motorscraft special "Truck plugs", which just have a longer rod, one guy told me that if you just go to the counter and ask for spark plugs for the 1992 F-150, or any year f-150 for that matter, you'll get the same plugs, they just don't market them as truck plugs anymore.

They have changed the truck 100%. Starting on hot days, no longer an issue, now I just have to find an H9 code Rear End from a late model f150.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I don't see how an ignition overhaul will give a boost in low rpm power.

If you want a nice ignition system and you arn't afraid to spend money, then get a complete MSD system (dizzy, 6AL, coil etc.) assuming that they offer this for the 300.

For low end power I would be more concerned about exhuast, cam and gearing. After that, I would look at a stroker motor.

Quick Reply: 92 F-150 Ignition Overhaul