Pre-1997 Models

The truck is going to be parked, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truck is going to be parked, what to do?

I was told on friday that I am going to be getting a company vehicle, it sounds like it is going to be a GMC cargo van. So that means that my 94 F150, which I currently use as my work truck, is going to be sitting ALOT more. I am guessing that I am probably only going to drive it maybe 1-2 times a month or so, since we will have 5 vehicles at the house now and this will put the 94 at the bottom of the list to be driven (oldest and gets the worst mileage).

I don't want to and will not get rid of the truck, I have had it way too long and have way to many memorys with it. It will be parked on a concrete slab behind my garage. What should I do to it to help its life, so it doesn't just rot away while sitting?

Thanks for the input!!

Old 04-27-2008, 05:33 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Do a complete detailing job, do a full fluid service, put some stabilizer in the gas, fill the tank, and maybe get a cover for it.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:28 AM
powerwash the whole underside.

Get all the flat spots, like under the rocker panels, cab corners, wheel well lips.

Spray up into the wheel wells also.

THat sitting salt will rust it fast.

Wash and wax it.

Fill up the tires to max psi

Clean your interior of any crums or junk.

Nows the time to do a coolant flush and fill it with fresh 50/50 coolant.
(don't want old coolant rusting up the block inside)

I'd leave the car cover off, the wind will move it around and dust and dirt will get under it causing scratches all over. Plus if its in a shaded area the car cover can hold moisture.

Fill up your gas tank to the top. Add some fuel stabilizer, follow the direction on the label. (inside of tank can't rust if gas is in it)

Last edited by Need4racin; 04-28-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:35 AM
There's a lot of differences between cheap and good car covers. Cheapo ones will blow around and put fine scratches or "swirls" in the paint. Good ones have a lot of straps so they don't blow around, and special undersides that won't scratch. They also have "breathable" fabrics that won't hold in moisture.

Although IMO the benefits outweigh the risks(slight scratches). Sun will rapidly fade the paint, as well as whatever is exposed to the sun inside, so the dash will fade and plastics will get bleached.

Clean out any food/garbage so as not to attract critters.

Fill the tank(s) all the way, and add half a small bottle of sta-bil to each tank.

If the coolant is nasty/brownish, change it, but if it looks okay you can probably skip that.

Might want to shove a rag in the exhaust pipe to keep critters out.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:30 PM
put it in jack stands to get the tires off the ground.place the stands so it's resting on the suspension.

Quick Reply: The truck is going to be parked, what to do?