Pre-1997 Models

Lots of newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of newbie questions

Hello all, first of all I apologize if these get asked all the time, I'm just trying to knock out all my questions I have about my new (to me) truck.

I bought a 96 single cab long bed eddy. 5.0 automatic, 110k miles, black, very clean truck. I'm in love with it, got a cd player and new speakers in the mail already, haha.

I had a 95 5.0 mustang, so my first question is about exhaust. Whats a good route to have a good sounding truck? I live in WA and have emissions testing, so nothing huge, I don't care about a ton of power, just a nice sound. Can that be achieved by just getting a shop to weld in some different mufflers? Or is a full on catback a better choice? In either case, what do you recommend? I do not want obnoxious loud, just a nice throaty v8 rumble. Although, I didn't think my mustang with off-road x and bullets was that loud

Second, where are you guys getting nerf bars, brush guards, running bars, that type of thing? My truck has that factory step already, is that removable?

Any other advice for a new truck owner?

Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Welcome to the forums. And welcome to the F150 World (assuming you are new)

I would recommend cat-back but you could also go with just muffler. For a loud throaty but not too loud, I would suggest just getting a SI/DO Catback flowmaster original 40 setup. Muffler shop would prob charge like 250 or less. You could also go magnaflow which would prob cost about 300. It is up to you. Youtube has a lot of exhaust clips if you search around.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:05 AM
Thanks, I'm not new to cars at all, but this is my first truck, I've always been a sports car guy. If the urge to go fast bites again, now I got tow vehicle and I can really haul ***, haha.

What size is the factory piping if I were to just replace the muffler?

Old 04-14-2008, 01:14 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EhC0MVnnkIc&feature=related

really nice 5.0 with flowmaster

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qq0HFv_4LIg

another flowmaster with no cats (doesnt apply to you but just for idea)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AGJM8JRGNys

5.0 with magnaflow

as far as piping, I am not sure. On top of the forums list is an "exhaust" page. Go up there and make a post asking for advice, im sure they would help you a lot also.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome n00b!

x2 on Flowmaster SiDo with 40's. Best rumble for your buck.

Let's see some pics!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:05 AM
I just got a cell phone picture, sorry

Old 04-15-2008, 02:13 AM
I love the clean cut f150's. Lift+Tires is good. Toolbox is Good. Anything more I don't like that much for me. GREAT Looking truck from the picture.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:55 PM
What does Si/Do mean? Will a catback screw up emissions testing? I live in florida before and we rode around with whatever the hell you wanted, so I never paid attention to what effects what.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Jperran
What does Si/Do mean? Will a catback screw up emissions testing? I live in florida before and we rode around with whatever the hell you wanted, so I never paid attention to what effects what.
Single In-Dual Out. A catback with the Flowmasters previously mentioned and some 3" piping does nice on a 5.0. Having a catback system shouldn't affect emission testing... but than again i'm not familiar with Washington emission laws.

Last edited by SKATERBRO; 04-16-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:47 AM
I've had cars at least that just a flowmaster welded in made them sound great. My 96 F150 has stock exhaust and i plan to keep it that way. Where in WA do you live cuz i live in Kitsap County and theres some great 4X4 shops that can make and weld amazing things at really good prices.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:03 AM
I'm stationed at McChord AFB, so the Lakewood/Tacoma area

Old 04-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Nice im going to skool at Clover Park. Theres a place across the bridge in bremerton, "those guys customs" they build great brush gaurds that actually attach right onto your frame so there actually functional it was like 300 bucks last one i had made. Do you wheel?

Old 04-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Never done it before but I figure I out to get into something outdoorsy up here, how much does it cost to get into wheelin?

Couple more questions-

What's the biggest tire that will fit under this thing without a lift? I have 235-15's right now, I like the wheels but the tire could be a bit taller and WAY wider, it looks ridiculous from strait on or behind. So how big can I go without a lift, or can a nice tire size be done with just a very small lift? I do not like the big giant monster truck look at all, I just want to fill up the fenders if you get what Im trying to describe.

What dimensions should I be looking for for a tool box and what should I expect to pay? Looking for a diamond plated box that will keep water out and a lock, beyond that I really don't care. It won't be for tools so much as a place to put stuff where it wont get wet besides inside the single cab and to look good, single cab + long bed = needs a box lol

What are those pieces that go on top of the bed, where bed rails would go if you got those? What would a diamond plated set of those cost do you think?

Old 04-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jperran
Never done it before but I figure I out to get into something outdoorsy up here, how much does it cost to get into wheelin?

Couple more questions-

What's the biggest tire that will fit under this thing without a lift? I have 235-15's right now, I like the wheels but the tire could be a bit taller and WAY wider, it looks ridiculous from strait on or behind. So how big can I go without a lift, or can a nice tire size be done with just a very small lift? I do not like the big giant monster truck look at all, I just want to fill up the fenders if you get what Im trying to describe.

What dimensions should I be looking for for a tool box and what should I expect to pay? Looking for a diamond plated box that will keep water out and a lock, beyond that I really don't care. It won't be for tools so much as a place to put stuff where it wont get wet besides inside the single cab and to look good, single cab + long bed = needs a box lol

What are those pieces that go on top of the bed, where bed rails would go if you got those? What would a diamond plated set of those cost do you think?
I run BFG A/T's in 33x10.50x15 I think they're the biggest you can go without a lift, people here have said they experienced rubbing with 33x12.50's.

As far as I know any box that says its for a full size truck will fit. I have a black diamond plate aluminum one from home depot that was $260.

Bed rail caps
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
matching cap for tailgate
http://www.jcwhitney.com/DEFLECTA-SH...0997_10101.jcw

Old 04-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Eh i would not put 33" tires under an unlifted truck if your wheelin with it you'll be rubbin ALOT, i would imagine. I spen roughly 950 bucks for a good lift with extended radius arms and then i spent 300 on used 33" tires and thats about it. My tool box was free and ive boughten other toolboxes at a place called pull-a-part off of highway 512 on the steele street exit for like 50 bucks you just have to get lucky n find one. You could do a 2.5" suspension lift for around 500 bucks but you wont be able to go very wide with your tire a 4" is the way to go and really our trucks look great with that high of a lift not to big not to small.

Quick Reply: Lots of newbie questions