Pre-1997 Models

Correct way to replace wiper motor?

Old 03-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct way to replace wiper motor?

I just got done replacing the wiper motor in my 94 F150, what a PITA!!! I ended up pulling the arms off both the motors and then connecting the new motor to the old arm since I couldn't figure out how to get the wiper rods off.

So what is the actual correct way to replace the motor? Also how often do the motors need to be replaced?

I ask this because this is the 3rd wiper motor on my truck. I replaced the original at around 80,000 miles (about 10 years ago) and now the 2nd one lasted 80,000 miles (the truck is sitting at 160,XXX miles now). So I am starting to see a trend here....

Old 03-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Its that bad! Damn... I have to change mine this weekend. Guess I should be prepared and warn the neighbors of satan like voices coming from under my hood, lol. I'm the third owner and had my truck since 01, I think. Mine is starting to go and there is 200 plus thousand miles and some change on it. I got the truck with 95 thousand on it and its a 1993.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by TorqueO
Its that bad! Damn... I have to change mine this weekend. Guess I should be prepared and warn the neighbors of satan like voices coming from under my hood, lol. I'm the third owner and had my truck since 01, I think. Mine is starting to go and there is 200 plus thousand miles and some change on it. I got the truck with 95 thousand on it and its a 1993.
Yea its are total PITA. My father and I were both stumped on the correct way to get motor swapped out.

I did end up finding out that the correct way to change the motor out is to remove the cowl, the metal piece between the hood and the windshield. I havn't looked to see how many screws and work is required to remove the cowl.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For jobs like this a Haynes repair manual is a handy thing to have.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by masseyman
For jobs like this a Haynes repair manual is a handy thing to have.
That is one thing that I do need to buy. When I went to change the motor I figured that since I had replaced it before that once I got to working on it I would remember what I had done last time, about 10 years ago. But I was wrong, old age must be setting in early because I couldn't remember how I did it so save my a--. But the main thing is that it is done, and hopefully I won't have to do it again for a long time, hopefully another 10 years or longer!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:14 AM
They're not that bad. Do have to remove the cowl panel. Hardest part of that is not to scratch the hood. Could mark and remove the hood, or unbolt the hinges and leave spring hinges attached and move entire hood forward a couple inches. The entire wiper transmission (yes, it is called a transmission)assy with motor attached can be removed, or if you have small hands, just remove the motor only. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Correct way to replace wiper motor?