Pre-1997 Models

93 F150-Problem replacing windshield wiper motor

Old 06-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 F150-Problem replacing windshield wiper motor

Have a '93 F150 and the windshield wiper motor went. Have removed the 3 bolts that hold the motor to the firewall. Problem is trying to disconnect the wiper arms from the motors pinion. Is there a cap or clip holding the wiper arms to the pinion and how do you remove it?

Thanks in advance...

Old 06-16-2007, 08:27 PM
I just replaced mine about a month ago. There is a linkage clip that you have to remove the cowl to get to. It's got a tab on it you lift up and then the tab slides off. It was prolly the toughest part of the whole job. A word of caution, try not to drop or beat on the new wiper motor, it has ceramic magnets that can break.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:14 PM
How do you remove the cowl?

On the 93 it looks like one whole metal piece without screws...

Old 06-16-2007, 10:34 PM
This link shows the clip, http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d800a380a.jsp. There are 6-8 screws at the front of the cowl and 3-4 screws on the top of the cowl. I'm trying to find a picture.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Manichee, your right, I noticed the the screws on top of the cowl with the holes in the cowl to get to them, and the screws towards the front in the engine bay. And the two outer ones by the hood hinges.

Yeah the clip looks like a B!TCH.

A BIG THANKS for the help!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's possible to remove the clip by just pulling the motor out until you can access it, but it's not easy. Installing it later is also tricky.

But removing the cowl is also no fun. You have to remove the lower w/s trim...

...the wiper arms (easy), the ~5 screws across the back of the wiper valance & ~10 across the front (under the hood), and then work the valance out without scratching it. The antenna wire just pulls straight out of the bottom, so don't mess with the mast.

While you have it off, hose out the debris down in the cowl drains. You can barely reach them from below, and it's gonna be nasty.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Wiper motor is in and working great! The clip that holds the wiper linkage arms came off and went back on pretty easy. Using a regular headed screwdriver to lift up the tab on the back of the clip sped things up. Only major headache was sliding the wiper linkage arms back on to the new motor. Don't bolt the wiper motor to the firewall until after you have put both linkage arms onto the motors rear pin. Another note: passenger side linkage goes on first then drivers side.

I agree with you Steve83, removing the cowl sucks, but I was actually able to slide the cowl forward and tilt up, without removing the lower w/s trim. Noticing that the cowl corners would hit the corners of the hood, I slapped some masking tape on them to protect the cowl. Couldn't remove the cowl this way, but there was enough room to attach the arm linkages and the clip.

Big thanks to everyone who helped!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 F150-Problem replacing windshield wiper motor