Pre-1997 Models

It finally breathes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It finally breathes!!!

I cut the old clogged cat off the 91 today. I am going to get a high flow cat sooner or later. I put a dual catback system on this truck a year or two ago and it was so quite it wasn't even funny, and i ran it right off the cats. Well i took the second one off and found it to be big time clogged and some of the baffeling was broken and in pieces. I put a temporary pipe in there and it sounds awesome with the cat back system on it. Now it sounds the way it should have to begin with. Deep throaty and boy does it roar.

And it gained noticeable horsepower and torque, and it's got get up and go now.

Last edited by 74duster318; 01-11-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Do you have smog testing in your state? Might just become one of those things to order "next week"

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-13-2006, 01:12 AM
No emissions testing where i'm at that i know of. That's more in the southern part of the state i believe.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by 74duster318
No emissions testing where i'm at that i know of. That's more in the southern part of the state i believe.
down here in louisiana they usually dont check on older model trucks like pre 1996...im runnin a full exhaust with headers back and no cats and i havent had any problem with emissions testing.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Awesome, i know several people at my school alone who are doing similar things. I tell ya, i drove that truck alot today and the power gain was drastic, there is alot more power. Before this, i thought the 302 was kind of a dog, with not too much power, but this is a helluva difference from before. And the sound it makes with the pipes.... Even gets better mpg.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:22 PM
did you just take the second cat off or do you got both of them off now?
i have a 96 with two in line cats, i was thinking about taking the second one off and running a a Y with dual outlets
as of now got straight pipe after the two cats and its loud but i want to be heard in the next town when i get on it so

Old 01-15-2006, 12:54 AM
Only the second cat. I didn't want to mess with the first one because of the 02 sensor, and i really don't need to do anything with it, it's sounds and performs great with the one. If you take the second one off and have straight pipes, i guarantee you, you will be heard in the next town. No need to mess with the first cat if you don't have to. Otherwise it's up to you. I think it is easier to do away with the second because it's easier to put a section of pipe in it's place. I didn't get any sort of check engine light or anything, didn't lose any power, gained a ton, and got a hell of a nice sound.

I saw in your image gallery that you have a ranger, very similar to mine. I straight piped that thing from the cats back, it's got a side pipe in front of the rear tire with a 3 inch tip. It was very loud so i put a glass pack on it and it souds a bit quieter. Mine is a 1990 2.9 5 speed 4x4 supercab.

Last edited by 74duster318; 01-15-2006 at 01:06 AM.

Quick Reply: It finally breathes!!!