F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Pre-1997 Models (https://www.f150online.com/forums/pre-1997-models-51/)
-   -   Rattle and bubbling when on the throtle??? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/pre-1997-models/216729-rattle-bubbling-when-throtle.html)

HalfTime 11-02-2005 03:15 AM

Rattle and bubbling when on the throtle???

O.K. First:
The rattling is coming from under the hood, usally only under heavy or full throtle and only while moving. (does not do it in park or neutral) I have checked for anything lose, but it really sounds to me like a marble in a glass jar being swirrled around. I think it is comeing from the left front, but it may just sound like that from the drivers seat. I do not know how loud it is out side the cab, but with the window down, it is alot louder. Any ideas?

Second:
The bubbling is coming from the heatercore (passenger side under dash) under any throtle position while accelerating. Thier is nothing leaking, no smells, and all hoses are flowing (using the good old sqeez the hose while running method) sounds to me like may be someone replaced the heatercore before I got it and left some air in it. From what I remember working on my '84 Bronco 10 years ago, a heatercore is a pain in the butt to replace. If it is air in the heatercore, will it hurt anything? Winter, summer, heater? I can live with a little bubbling every now and then. Will flushing my coolent fix it?

The sounds are really just a embaresment everytime someone asks, "what's that" My truck is in AWSOME condition, pristeen shape, a real head turner down here, I just don't like the sounds inside the cab.

Thanks for the help.

Lucas

'95, Ford, F-150, FlareSide, Reg. Cab, Short Bed, Blue/Black/Chrome, Power Everything, 5.0, 2WD, 8.8, Auto O/D, K&N, 3" True Duel, Custom Dimond Tool Box, 5% Tint, Chrome tie-downs, Toe Pakage.

Clifford f150 11-02-2005 12:15 PM

I'd be willing to be the timing is way advanced. That will cause the rattle. As to the bubble, I don't know...but I'd definitely take care of the timing ASAP before you hurt sometihng. you might even gget lucky and have the bubble taken care of too.

Photog95 11-02-2005 09:43 PM

Pop the hood and check your overflow tank while it is running as well. Have your cooling system pressure checked. Usually any bubbling in the system is a sign of a cracked head or a blown head gasket letting the air from the combustion chamber blow off into the cooling system and still be sealed from the outside world.

If it is bad enough there is a chance this is causing your rattle noise as well. :eek:

HalfTime 11-03-2005 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Clifford f150
I'd be willing to be the timing is way advanced. That will cause the rattle. As to the bubble, I don't know...but I'd definitely take care of the timing ASAP before you hurt sometihng. you might even gget lucky and have the bubble taken care of too.

I would have never thought about that, I'll check my timeing, under idle, and under throtle, may be my vacume is to high? I'll let you know, but it really sounds like a michanical rattleing, and it is not every time, I would guess about 50% of the time it rattles.

Originally Posted by Photog95
Pop the hood and check your overflow tank while it is running as well. Have your cooling system pressure checked. Usually any bubbling in the system is a sign of a cracked head or a blown head gasket letting the air from the combustion chamber blow off into the cooling system and still be sealed from the outside world.

If it is bad enough there is a chance this is causing your rattle noise as well.

Is the over flow tank supposed to be empty when running? As for a cracked head or gasket, exhaust is clear, a little ritch :lol: but no wight smoke even under full throtle, no smoke at all, or fumes other then the norm. However when I start it up after sitting all night, I do get a small puff of smoke, not visible from in side, but if I stand in back as my wife starts, a little bit of smoke canb be seen, blueish in color. Not jsut moisture. I have to add about a quart of oil every 8 weeks or so. I was thinking it is just a bad ring or two, but nothing too bad. Hell it has 134k miles on it. As far as pressure, I can here the coolent flowing, is that good or bad? It needs to be flushed, bad too, not sure when the last time it was done by the previous owner, but it is rusty in color! :eek:

This weekend I am going to do a buch of work on the truck, so I'll let you all know what I did, what I found, and if anything is better or worse. Later guys, Thanks