Pre-1997 Models

K&N intake on 1988 4.9L

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N intake on 1988 4.9L

Hello everyone! New to the sight but have been reading it for a couple months. Turns out I need some help myself. I have owned my 1988 F150 Custom Short Bed, 4.9L, 5 speed, no ac (yuk!!!) for 6 years now. Bought it from the second owner for $1900. Since then I have replaced the clutch, battery, thermostat, alternator, shocks, brakes, gas tank, sending unit and fuel regulator. Not bad for the price and I use it every day for going to and from work. Well, my daughter wants to drive it when she starts (about 2 years) and I have always wanted to rebuild a vehicle. This leads to my problem.
I started minor items, like just went to larger wheels and tires (love it) and after reading a couple forums in here decided to go with the K&N intake system (the FIPK). I removed the old intake and installed the K&N intake. Now my truck won't start. I removed the negative battery cable for 15 minutes to reset the computer and checked to make sure I didn't accidentally bump anything and knocked it loose. All the wires are still connected tight and everything is still there. It would crank instantly before, cold or warm. Now it just turns over. Any ideas....I am getting ready to put the old intake on to see if it runs with that....but I didn't think the '88 had a mass air flow sensor. Any help would be appreciated.....thanks guys.

Brian

Old 09-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BB,

It really sounds like you just popped the coil wire or something my mistake when removing the old and installing the new. I'd just check back over everything I could put my hands on.

Best of Luck!

Old 09-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You won't believe this

I took the K&N off and put the original back on. The truck fired instantly like there was never anything wrong. So I tried starting it with the intake hoses disconnected and it worked fine. So I placed the K&N on and reset the computer and it fired like normal. I have no idea what happened...I guess she was just being an old cranky truck. Runs great again....thanks for the quick reply guys.

Quick Reply: K&N intake on 1988 4.9L