Pre-1997 Models

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light

Hi, I have a 93 XL and my problem is that whenever I drive for a few miles my check engine light always wants to pop on... it never stays on for more than a few seconds but I still would like to find out whats wrong? Could someone help me out on where to start?

Old 08-24-2005, 08:38 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome! First if there are no problems you sense, just drive over to autozone or such and borrow there free scan tool. It plugs into two connections under the hood by the drivers side hinge. Follow along with the scan tool and then go back in so they can print the codes for you. Post them and we can help.

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-24-2005, 09:20 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Most AZ stores do not have OBD-I readers. Of course, you might get lucky.

Steve

Old 08-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need the code; the computer is waiting to tell you.

If your local parts emporium fails you, any properly equipped independent mechanic can do it, and the Ford dealer certainly can. Depending on local behavior, the dealer might even be willing to read the code without charging you for that part of the experience, since it takes them little time; but that might not be true at your local dealer. I don't even know if it's true at the local Ford dealer here, but I've only had the Ford 3 days; I do know the local Chevy dealer would do that for the computer on the Chevy, before I found my current mechanic.

My independent mechanic will do it, and doesn't mind if I choose to fix some of the easy stuff, since I have an aversion to nasty messy jobs that require using torches near fuel tanks, so he knows that I'll be back to give him more money - we've developed a good working relationship. I just replaced a temp sensor last night and cleared my check engine, but I'm letting him put in the new spring - I've done one of those, and it's not worth my agony.

Quick Reply: Check engine light