Pre-1997 Models

81 f100 dieing when i take it outa gear

Old 07-26-2005, 03:49 PM
jor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
81 f100 dieing when i take it outa gear

hey i have a 81 f100 4.9l and everytime i stop and take it outa gear, or stop and leave the clutch held in it dies.. any clues what this could be? it starts and idles fine

Old 07-26-2005, 09:17 PM
id say check your air filter, fuel filter if that dont help i dont know what to tell ya, my truck wouldn't idle good so i changed the air filter and it runs fine

Old 07-27-2005, 08:45 PM
The old six cylinder carbs are known for blowing the accelerator pump and running extremely rich at idle. If you can back the fuel mixture screw all the way out, and it still idles ok, you need a carb overhaul. That is my first guess. Does it leak fuel from the bottom of the carb around the throttle shaft? I bet so. I would lean to a carb overhaul. The kit is about thirty bucks and they are pretty simple, watch out for the double spring on top of the accel pump, and the clip that holds it on. Ask me how I know. Good luck,

Robbie

Old 07-29-2005, 04:11 AM
jor
my truck doesn't have an air cleaner on it right now.. it does look like it needs a new carb gasket. now when i start it up some times it blow white smoke, or black smoke, or runs fine and doesn't smoke at all.. also some backfiring is happening now.. im gonna rebuild that carb and see if it does any better and if not i have a rebuilt 351w w/ lots of goodies to drop in the truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 81 f100 dieing when i take it outa gear