Pre-1997 Models

Starter wouldn't disengage and finally died

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter wouldn't disengage and finally died

When I started my truck last night, my starter didn't shut off after the engine started. I even tried to shut off from the ignition but the starter kept the engine turning. So, since I knew if I got it to stop, I might not get it going again, I drove home - about 2 miles.

Before I could get home, the engine started to buck and jolt, so I clutched it and it smoothed out again. When I released the clutch to engage the engine again, the lights dimmed and the truck almost stalled, then the starter just stopped and the truck came back to life. I drove the rest of the way home and parked it.

For kicks (I knew what was _not_ going to happen), I tried to start it up again. No dice.

The starter and solenoid are both less than a year old. I bought the truck (used), and he said that he had starter problems. I replaced the starter the first day I bought it, and cleaned the contacts on the solenoid. The solenoid looked like it was just installed.

I suspect that it's either a bad case of solenoids, or another problem, electrical, which I fear the most.

Advice, consolation, pity?

Thanks

Old 07-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Normally its just a bad solenoid, just because it's new doesn't mean its good. However there is a chance that the wiring or ignition switch is keeping the solenoid turned on.

-Jon

Old 07-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Turn the ignition "on" but not to start. Use your voltmeter or test light to see if you have power at the small (i.e. control) lead on the starter relay. If you do, it's a problem with the switch/wiring. If not it could be the relay or it could be an intermittant wiring problem.

If it recurs, simply pull the control lead off the starter relay with the engine running. If the solenoid is working correctly, the starter will disengage.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:04 PM
That didn't work

I pulled the wire from the small contact, I assume it's from the ignition, and the engine kept trying to turn over. It was pulling a lot of juice from the battery. I think the alternator may be going bad. Does it sound like it? I hope it's not an electrical problem in the column.

Old 07-08-2005, 02:12 PM
my guess is a starter solenoid and hey its easy cheap and quick to try https://www.f150online.com/forums/li...r_solenoid.htm if nothing else you could get this one just to get a free catalog to read in "library"

Last edited by David Despain; 07-08-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Suspended
this is funny my friend has an 86 bronco that we just replace the started solenoid. about a month later he buys a ford ranger the day he gets it he trys to move his bronco in the back yard to fix it and when he turned the key the starter turned on and never turned off. so he disconnected the battery to turn it off. we are going to replace the ignition the week end and see how it goes.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:25 PM
The last starter I replaced developed this problem the day after I put it in. Thought it was the solonoid as well. Turned out the new starter was bad right out of the box. Replaced it again and good as new.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Well, I learned my lesson. This is what I think happened...
I bought my truck last Nov and when I tried to start it the next morning, nothing. So I replaced the starter and deducted the cost from the second half of my payment to the previous owner. So, I broke even $-wise. I did not replace the solenoid, which was a mistake, I think.

Now, it's July, my starter refuses to stop, until it burns out or something gave. In any event, it sucked ALOT of juice before dying as the truck lost all power a moment before the death.

So, I buy a new solenoid and a new starter. I still haven't learned my lesson, so I install just the solenoid to see if that what was causing the problem. Optimistically, I'm thinking I could save $70 if it's only the solenoid. I turn it over and I get the same behavior. Oh well. So I replace the starter, in the rain, pouring rain, Tropical Storm Cindy. I try it again. Guess what, the starter wouldn't shut off, until I unhooked the starter from the solenoid.

I'm soaked, mad, confused, and poorer.

So, I sleep on it and wake up at 2 AM thinking through the electrical. I finally dig out Chilton's and look at the wiring diagram. The wife already knows I'm like this so she ignores me and continues her slumbering. I resolve to replace both the solenoid and the starter tomorrow if I have to, but I think I've got it.

I bought another solenoid, and installed it. It runs perfectly. This is what I think (know) happened. In my attempt to troubleshoot the system, I blew the second solenoid when I put it on with the old starter - too much current was flowing through not to blow it. The old starter probably has fused coils, this is what I figured out at 3 AM. (My Electrical Engineering background has finally come through and helped me! For a while there, I thought I would die before I ever used it!)

Lesson: change BOTH the starter and the solenoid, spend the 10-20 bucks, it'll save more money later - Ain't that the truth in most things???

Old 07-31-2005, 05:34 AM
Hmm..

I've had similar starter issues over the last 2 years with my 86 f150 4x4.. It also is the 300 six..

What I notice is, just before all hell breaks loose-- I'll have difficulty starting, and will find the starter solenoid is hot enough to burn your fingers on.

I'm wondering if the quality of the starter rebuilds have dropped enough in nearly 20 years that they're drawing more amperage than they used to..

My last starter replacement-- I had them 'test' the starter BEFORE I installed it, just so I knew how much amperage it took to turn "out of the box."

I've begun carrying a 'spare' solenoid in the bed box, so I can quick swap them if it gets too hot to start.. Letting it cool can take upwards of 15 minutes, during the summer!

The parts guy I bought the last starter from also suggested that I take sandpaper or a wire brush, and 'buff up' the bolt flanges and mating surfaces-- where the starter connects to the engine. He said poor grounding will increase the amperage a starter needs (made sense!)..

Old 08-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Yup, I noticed that the contacts were oxidizing, at least it looked it - all white powdery. Anyway, I'm going to follow suite and carry an extra solenoid in the box in case, too. It's worth it. I was lucky enough to return the starter for a full refund, but I was out two starters...oh well.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:57 AM
FYI: The solenoid gets it's ground from being bolted to the fender. Make sure the mounting bolt is clean, and scrape some paint off behind the solenoid to give it a better connection. That will help a lot.

For future reference, carry a large screwdriver with you, and if the starter ever sticks again, rap the screwdriver's handle against the solenoid sharply. That should release the internal contacts.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Piling on:Grounding

After running into other electrical issues, I brought my baby to an automotive electrical guy, and he found that I had a bad electrical ground connection. He moved it closer to the starter, and I haven't had any of the little annoying problems that I continued to have. It just goes to show, it could be a lot of things, or more than one at a time...they all pile on.

Quick Reply: Starter wouldn't disengage and finally died