F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Pre-1997 Models (https://www.f150online.com/forums/pre-1997-models-51/)
-   -   Oil Pan Question (https://www.f150online.com/forums/pre-1997-models/203409-oil-pan-question.html)

DHarris75 07-06-2005 07:34 AM

Oil Pan Question

Hello,

I am a novice home mechanic and I try to do as much work as I can at home. That being said, I was replacing my water pump over the weekend and while I was underneath the truck I noticed the gasket for my oil pan was sticking out by a good 1/2 inch at one point. It loops out and then back in and the hole where the bolt goes was ripped.

I do not seem to be losing a lot of oil in between oil changes and I have no idea how long it has been like this. But, I was looking at how much of a PITA it would be to change it out. It looks like I'd have to pull the engine w/ the cross beam in the way. The pan goes from the rear (where the drain plug is at) all the way up to the front under the engine.

My question: anyone know if I would in fact have to pull the engine or can it be changed with it in still installed?

Specs: 92 F-150 Flare Side, 4.9L I-6, Manual 5-speed.

There are other things with the truck that I'm needing some advice on, but that will be for a diff thread. Replaced the thermostat and gasket one day, and the next my water pump was leaking (well, no - it was pouring out). So I replaced it w/ a new gasket. No leaks...but it is running a little warmer than it was before. The needle goes to O on Normal. It use to never get to N. But it's runnin and I'm not losing coolant. But I do need a new belt though - cracks and dry rot.

Anyway, off subject. Thanks for help.

Ford4ever 07-07-2005 11:27 AM

It's supposed to go up to the "o" your old t-stat was just stuck open making the truck run cold. As for the oil pan gasket, the oil pan can be taken off with the engine in the truck but you do have to unbolt the engine from it's mounts and jack it up a few inches. Not a bad job but it can be a pain without the right tools.

-Jon

DHarris75 07-09-2005 03:06 PM

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I noticed water leaking out of the therm gasket so I replaced it. Truck was runnin hot as coolant was leakin. So I got it fixed w/ a new therm and gasket. Filled it up and all ready to go to work next morning. No coolant. Filled it up and warmed up the truck...after I turned the truck off, water just poured out of the bottom of the water pump. I remembered that the gasket for the therm was non-existant. So I figured this was true for the water pump. So I pulled it off and put a new pump on and a new gasket. No leaks.

But I thought something was wrong because it was still runnin hotter than it was. But that makes sense (therm stuck open before).

So that's one less thing I have to hunt down. Good to know I don't have to remove the engine. You said 'right' tools. Are there any special tools that may be required? It looks like just some bolts that hold the pan on (after getting clearance by jacking engine).

Thanks for the help.

Tom in CT 07-09-2005 04:22 PM

When I changed mine on a 5.0 V8 4x4, as I recall I only needed some sockets and a good assortment of extentions and those universal flex coupling things. What are they called again? Anyhow, the pan on mine didn't come out all the way. But then, I didn't do the prep of removing the fan shroud and rad. hoses either. I think I went up about 2".

Also it was recommended to me to use a Ford oil pan gasket, they have metal strips inside that will keep it stiff allowing it to slide into position easier. Also wear an old shirt, I got oil drip all over myself.

Ford4ever 07-09-2005 05:09 PM

Yeah by "right tools" i just meant a good assortment of extensions and universals and some sort of gasket scraper to take off the old gasket.

-Jon

DHarris75 07-10-2005 01:52 PM

Thanks a bunch!!!