Pre-1997 Models

Power steering pump failure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering pump failure?

Hi Gang,

Yesterday as I completed my commute into work, I could feel increasing tension and difficulty in steering my 1996 F150 XLT. By the time I got to the parking garage it sounded like an elephant was being tortured under the hood. There was also some dark fluid below my vehicle at that point.

I did not seem to have any steering assistance when I drove home (and to a mechanic). Super difficult to turn the wheel. Does anyone know approximately what it will cost me to have the power steering pump replaced and or fixed. Thanks very much.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I just got one out of a junkyard and swapped it out on a saturday afternoon on my 92. I think it was two hours takin my time.

Adrianspeeder

Old 06-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I paid around $35 for a reman one with lifetime warranty I belive it was... hardest part was rethreading in the highpressure line as not to crossthread.

You only need a PS pulley puller to remove the old pulley... now is a good time to see if the Oil Pressure sender is leaking. Clean the bracket well. I'd install a PS cooler too, I did. Increased my capacity by nearly an additional quart.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump failure?