Pre-1997 Models

89 F150 Inline 6 tranny problems. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 89 F150 Inline 6 tranny problems. Please help

I have a 1989 F150 with a 5speed MT, 300 I6. Yesterday as I was going to make a turn, i upshifted to first by accident and the truck slammed forward as it would normally only i heard a big pop and something in the transmission started making a grinding noise and I could not shift. It's very hard now to even start the truck because I cannot get the clutch pushed down far enough for the neutral control switch to see the clutch is depressed and when I do, if im in gear the truck will lurch forward as if i were starting in gear. On a few occasions it has started with the clutch depressed in gear and it seems i could drive it but the grinding noise "even when im sitting still" just sounds too horrible, when I move the shifter to the neutral position the sound continues for a few seconds then stops and I can no longer shift into any gear.

I really hope I dont have major transmission problems, I'm kinda leaning towards a clutch issue, perhaps a throw out bearing? These are just wild guesses as I know very little about motor vehicles.

Any help is appriciated in advance thanks.

Old 06-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like major tranny problems. Lol, jk man. I actually don't know much about the 5-speed, so I don't think I can help you, but if it's making that much noise, I can confidentally advise you not to drive it.

Quick Reply: 89 F150 Inline 6 tranny problems. Please help