Pre-1997 Models

Specs on a 1988 F150 with V6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 02:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Specs on a 1988 F150 with V6?

i can't find specs on this model

its a regular cab, 4x4, 5 spd manual, inline 6 engine.

what kind of power, towing capacity, bed capacity, torque, HP, etc?

what kind of gas mileage would be considered normal? any routine things that go wrong that should be addressed before something happens?

any tips on maintaining one?

a friend of mine has just bought one - first vehicle and he's running on a budget (to say the least). he found a truck matching these specs and got it for a steal - all seemingly in great shape except the oxidized paint (he doesn't really care, it's gonna be taken around mudding anyway).

i just hope it doesn't end up having something blow on him and bury him in maintenance costs, it would sure be a shame.

Old 06-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by crimson shrew
i can't find specs on this model

its a regular cab, 4x4, 5 spd manual, inline 6 engine.

what kind of power, towing capacity, bed capacity, torque, HP, etc?

what kind of gas mileage would be considered normal? any routine things that go wrong that should be addressed before something happens?

any tips on maintaining one?

a friend of mine has just bought one - first vehicle and he's running on a budget (to say the least). he found a truck matching these specs and got it for a steal - all seemingly in great shape except the oxidized paint (he doesn't really care, it's gonna be taken around mudding anyway).

i just hope it doesn't end up having something blow on him and bury him in maintenance costs, it would sure be a shame.

the 6 was low HP, lots of tq. Had almost as much torque as the 302, but I think only 140 or 150 HP in 88.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:41 PM
The 300 inline 6 is probably one of the toughest motors Ford made. It's no gas mileage motor probably around 15-17mpg. I had an '85 with a 4 speed with granny low for about 11 years. It was tough and would pull with any 302, lots of low end torque. I sold it to my son when he turned 16. Six months later he rolled it and bent every piece of sheet metal but the hood and tailgate. It sat for six months and one day I decided to try to start it. Filled it with oil and it cranked right up. 135,000 miles and I sold it to a guy who wanted the motor and tranny for his truck.

Old 06-04-2005, 06:54 PM
w00t to the I-6. I got one in an '82, and it's damn near invincible. I even accidentally ran it for about forty minutes with little or no oil, and it still pulls hard. Fast lil sucker in first, too.

Old 06-05-2005, 09:36 PM
My 89 with about the same options you have is rated at 128 HP and 280 torque. I get about 14 MPG, does not matter if I am in the city, on the freeway, driver hard or easy, 14 is about the best I can get. One of the best truck engines ever built. It figures they would stop producing it!

--Mike

Quick Reply: Specs on a 1988 F150 with V6?