Pre-1997 Models

How to remove 5.8 fuel rails?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove 5.8 fuel rails?

I'm posting this again in this forum (I also posted in Engines) as I'm hoping to get some info ASAP so I can get this finished up tomorrow.

Earlier this week I inquired as to the removal of the "inner" upper manifold bolt on my 1990 5.8L. Thanks to some replies, I got the T40 driver in a 1/4" drive and got it out.

Now for the next question. How do I remove the fuel rails. I can't see a place to to break into the lines coming across the tranny and up the firewall. Where do you break this line? Then, how do you remove the actual rails from the injectors? With 240,000 on the truck would you also recommend replacing the injectors? Do they just pull out?

Thanks again guys,

Lance

1989 F350 diesel
1990 F250 5.8l

Old 04-16-2005, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To disconnect the fuel lines you must use a tool designed for this. Go to just about any auto parts store and get a Ford quick connect tool set. They are not expensive. You will see the rather large connectors up near the fuel rail with a snap on safety retainer. Just pop off the retainer and using one of your new tools slide it on the line to release the garter spring then pull the line apart carefully as some gas will spill. Unbolt the fuel rails from the intake manifold then simply pull. The injectors are held on with an O ring at each end. I have not seen an injector actually go bad but they can get clogged. I built a flow checker for injectors and have only seen one that flowed significantly less than the others out of 100's checked. Go to Ford and buy a new set of O rings as they work great and don't cost a lot.

Quick Reply: How to remove 5.8 fuel rails?