Pre-1997 Models

dual gas tanks??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual gas tanks??

I have discovered that on my newly purchased 95 which has 2 tanks. The gauge only reads the rear tank. I discovered this after filling up my front one. Does this mean only the rear one is hooked up or am I doing something wrong. Also does the 95 have a warning light for low fuel? I didn't receive a manual when I purchased it.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:49 PM
I don't have a manual either but I have run both tanks nearly dry and no there are no warning lights.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Sorry bud I was working on my '95 Explorer and wasn't paying attention. But my '94 doesn't have warning lights either.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:59 PM
No, I don't believe there was a low fuel light.
As for the fuel gauge - do you mean the needle doesn't move as you switch from one tank to the other? Or does the truck not run on one of the tanks even though the gauge says full?

Old 04-11-2005, 11:31 PM
My 93 doesnt have one either. i wish it did, i ran out the otherday going somewhere, i was paying attention, and i though i had fuel in the front tank. but i didnt

Old 10-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Dont mean to hi-jack the thread, but on my 89 the gauge goes to right full on one tank and goes to completely empty when I switch to the other. When I unplugged the switch with the truck off the needle gives me a reading. Is there a problem with the selector switch? I cant see both sending units being bad at the same time.

Last edited by 89Lariat; 10-24-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:45 PM
No, there isn't an idiot light. Shine a flashlight on the panel and you'll see all the icons that can light up, there isn't one for fuel.
There should be
ABS
check engine
e-brake
seatbelt
highbeams

and below
left/right turn
fuel reset(lights if the valve tripped)
4x4 if equipped
transfer case low range.

If the gauge doesn't work on the front one it's probably a bad sender. The easy way to test if the tank works without risking stalling out in traffic is to shut off the motor in a quiet place. If there's a key-in door open chime, get in and close the door but put the window down. Set the switch to front and turn the key to ON but don't start the motor. You should hear a whirr from just behind the cab. If not, or it's really faint, the pump could be bad and the tank might not work. Otherwise you can drive off the tank, you just have to appx mileage to know when you're about out. I can comfortably get about 250 miles off the front tank, and if I really push it(all highway) maybe 270, but that's with the gauge lying on E. Rear is a little more, closer to 300.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Hello all,
New member here who just purchased a 95 F150 as my son's first vehicle. This truck has two fuel tanks and the front tank gage doesn't work all the time....we can drive off it so it must be the sending unit. My question is how best to manage the two tanks....

1) Can you switch the tanks at any time (ie driving) or should it only be done when engine is shut off.
2) Since he probably won't have enough cash to keep one tank full much less two what should his strategy be? (any harm leaving gas unused in one tank for months at a time).

Thanks

Old 11-01-2006, 11:53 AM
^ Okron, you can switch tanks while driving down the road with no problems whatsoever, provided both tanks are working properly. The truck won't miss or shudder or anything of that nature.

Leaving gas in a tank for months at a time can be a problem, especially if you live in a climate where it gets colder. You can have issues with condensation or varnishing in the gas.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:00 PM
So the best strategy might be to alternate using and fueling tanks?

Old 11-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Since we don't have the manuals can anyone tell me what size the fuel tanks are?

Old 11-04-2006, 10:05 PM
fuel tank

talked to ford techs and found out that over 65% of all trucks from 89-1996 the front tank has or will have a bad pump. my trucks front tank doesn't work something about the pump is different. the two pumps are not interchangable (front pump and back pump are not the same). Dealer recomends replacement of the front pumps due to many recent pump config. changes ( supposedly they re-did the pumps and issued a different one on replacement) but there is no warrenty or recall on them as of today.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:51 AM
Originally Posted by okron
Since we don't have the manuals can anyone tell me what size the fuel tanks are?
The rear tank holds 18.2 gallons. If the truck is a shortbed, the front tank holds 16.5 gallons. If it's a longbed, the front tank holds 19 gallons.

FWIW, the members in this forum will always try and help you out with info you need, but the owners manual for the '95 is 466 pages of good-to-have-with-you information! If you'd like to get one, there are almost always '95 owners manuals on eBay, usually for less than $10.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by PKRWUD
The rear tank holds 18.2 gallons. If the truck is a shortbed, the front tank holds 16.5 gallons. If it's a longbed, the front tank holds 19 gallons.

FWIW, the members in this forum will always try and help you out with info you need, but the owners manual for the '95 is 466 pages of good-to-have-with-you information! If you'd like to get one, there are almost always '95 owners manuals on eBay, usually for less than $10.
OK here's a dumb one, what's the difference between the long and short bed? My box (flareside) is just under 8', but the front tank has never taken more than 14 gallons of gas, even with the gauge just below empty. I don't know what the rear tank is, it has a very slow leak if I put more than five gallons in it.

I have the manual but I've never found anything about the tanks in it, maybe a page or two missing I guess.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by kretinus
OK here's a dumb one, what's the difference between the long and short bed? My box (flareside) is just under 8', but the front tank has never taken more than 14 gallons of gas, even with the gauge just below empty.
I believe that your flareside is a shortbox and should measure right around 6.5' long, all long boxes are 8'.

Originally Posted by kretinus
I don't know what the rear tank is, it has a very slow leak if I put more than five gallons in it.

I have the manual but I've never found anything about the tanks in it, maybe a page or two missing I guess.
In the manual for my 94 you have to look in the Index at the back of the manual. Then find fuel and then capacity, in my manual the are on pages 379-382.

Quick Reply: dual gas tanks??