Pre-1997 Models

94 4.9 straight 6

Old 03-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 94 4.9 straight 6

I had planned on making my 2 wheel drive ford into a little mud truck but recently decided that why bother its not a 4x4. I am looking to add some pep to the engine and want to know what gives me the most bang for my buck?

Old 03-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Increasing airflow is generally regarded as the quickest and cheapest engine mod to increase performance. For a fuel-injected engine your best bet will be to get rid of the stock airbox and slap on a cold-air intake. I recommend K&N's FIPK system or AEM's offroad system (I think it's called Brute Force or something). Check eBay. A cold air intake shoves more air into the throttle body, uses a more direct path to do it (stock induction systems are ridiculously restrictive), and pulls cooler air from an area that's not close to the heat of the engine.

I'd also suggest installing aftermarket headers to free up some restriction on the other end of the engine. Hedman and DC Sports are both good names to look into. A set of ceramic coated headers will cut down on heat buildup. You can also widen the exhaust pipe diameter, get rid of your catalytic converter, and replace the stock mufflers with something with higher flow (Flowmaster is the only way to go). Not only will you feel a kick in the pants when you get on the gas pedal, your truck will sound really mean.

I'd say the most essential upgrades for quick, cheap horsepower are intake and headers. The combination of these two mods will get the most 'bang for your buck.' Plus they're bolt-on parts that don't require a ton of labor or knowledge to install on your own, if you want to. All the other stuff (wider pipes, new muffler, replace cat w/test pipe) is going to cost a little more (best to have it done by the pros) and not give quite as much improvement.

If you don't mind spending a few grand, and want to make your truck faster than a truck really needs to be, look into either turbo or supercharging.

Good luck, and have fun.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:37 PM
So far. . .

Yea I've got a K&N FIPK intake on the way, just installed a throttle body spacer and already removed one of the cat's and hollowed out the hi cat and welded it back on. Topped the exhuast off with a 50 or 60 series flowmaster and then tips and the works. The biggest problem I've had is finding headers for the engine size, as well as some type of computer tuner or chip. Any ideas?

Old 03-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Oh yea. . .

Another thing, how in the hell do I get rid of the governor? And does anyone know the stock Horsepower and Lb/Ft rating on the 94 fuel injected 300?

Old 03-28-2005, 03:36 PM
If I remember correctly, the Factrory Rated HP is about 130. The torque I don't know, but it's a torquey little motor if you put a little money into it. For the headers, http://www.cliffordperformance.com/S...ngine_list.htm
They also have Fuel Injection kits, and everything short of nitrous for the I-6.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 4.9 straight 6