Pre-1997 Models

2 problems: steering, bed liner

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 problems: steering, bed liner

Hello all, my problems may be common and any help would be appreciated.

1st: The steering on my 94 F150 is very sloppy, I have to constantly adjust while driving. While driving at about 45 to 55 when I go into a slight curve around a bend in the road the steering wheel seems to (for lack of more knowledge) float about 2 inches then the steering works fine. I had the ball joint replaced when I got the truck and the front wheels aligned. Any thoughts ?

2nd: I have a factory bed liner but it's starting to rub the paint to the bare metal. I want to use a roll, spray or paint on liner but don't know which one to choose. For the price BONDO looks about right.

P.S.

When I figure out how to post a pic I'll show you all the truck I got for a birthday present and have only put $26.00 into.

Old 03-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the steering I'd start with a complete front end inspection. In order to fix the play you need to find the play. Have a second person work the steering wheel back and forth while you look and see where the slop is. If it's the steering box, they can be adjusted somewhat (but it's real easy to overadjust it and create lots of friction in your steering). While you're looking, check out all the tie rod ends and all four ball joints for slop.

Old 03-12-2005, 09:39 PM
hey, factory bedliner, where are you, id be willing to buy it off of you if its a shortbed, ive been looking for a ford one. email me if you want to sell it. DMClayton@adelphia.net

Old 03-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Hey thanks all,

I figured the steering box was the problem, now should I buy new or rebuild.

About the bed liner yes it is for factory short bed, but I thought I would just put it back in after the spray on for double protection.

Quick Reply: 2 problems: steering, bed liner