F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Pre-1997 Models (https://www.f150online.com/forums/pre-1997-models-51/)
-   -   Can't 'fill-er-up' ! (https://www.f150online.com/forums/pre-1997-models/155622-cant-fill-er-up.html)

MROLDV8 05-02-2004 06:49 AM

Can't 'fill-er-up' !

Not sure where to post this...If I put it in 'other vehicles', nobody will ever read it.
*Vehicle...'92 E150 van
*Problem...For the last few years, I haven't been able to fill the truck up with gas. The gas pump will kick out when the tank is about 5/8 full. To get any more gas into the thing I have to squeeze the nozzle as lightly as possible, so that very little gas flows out of it. After about 5 minutes of doing this, it will kick off the flow, no matter how little I try to put in. At this point, I can hear the fuel gurgling down the filler tube on its way into the tank. Once the gurgling stops, I can get a 'filler tube' full at a time before the pump kicks off again. So there I stand...fill the tube...wait, fill the tube...wait, until I get tired of standing there. In the last four years I've never had the darn tank hit the full mark...not because it can't happen, but because I get tired of standing there and waiting. Now what's really wierd...If I chose not to go through this agony, and just drive-off after the pump has kicked-off the first time, the truck starts fine. But if I go through this slow-fill procedure, it will start and die...but always start on the second try.
What could be wrong here? I mean, this is really a pain!:mad:

Thanks.

MR

Ford4ever 05-02-2004 12:19 PM

Are you sure that your gas guage is reading correctly? If the pump kicks off when the tank is full it is still possible to overfill it and force gas through the evap system and fill up the charcoal canister, which could explain why it starts and stalls.

Other than that most vehicles have some sort of a check valve or rollover valve that lets air escape when you fill the tank, there could be a problem with that valve, but i am not to familier with the evap systems on these trucks.

-Jon

MROLDV8 05-02-2004 10:47 PM

I don't think its the gauge, because if it kicks off at between 1/2 and 5/8 full...and I stand there squeezing more in...for almost ten minutes, I've had it go to between 7/8 and full. That's a lot of gas! Usually an honest five minutes will get me to 3/4, but it's REALLY slow going after that.

MR

ccnseven 05-05-2004 08:47 AM

Sounds like a kinked vent hose to the tank or a maybe a checkvalve that allows air out of the tank, would explain the gurgling.:thumbsup:

MROLDV8 05-05-2004 11:34 AM

Originally posted by ccnseven
Sounds like a kinked vent hose to the tank or a maybe a checkvalve that allows air out of the tank, would explain the gurgling.:thumbsup:
Any idea where I would find this vent hose? Can I assume it comes off of the top of the tank? Wonder if I have to drop the tank to get at it?:confused: :mad:

MR

LE PEW 05-05-2004 11:39 AM

I second checking the vent line for kinks. Also, I had a similar problem and knocked my head against the wall. I eventually removed the hose from the filler neck to the tank and found that it was unraveling itself on the inside thereby seriously restricting the flow of gas. I know it's a long shot, but if you can get to it easily enough you may want to remove it and check the the filler neck, the hose, and the neck on the gas tank for obstructions.

Good luck, I know it's not much but It's all I got. :D