Pre-1997 Models

Computer Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer Swap

We have a dead 91 F150 xlt 4.9 w/ 5 speed. A week or so ago, the computer burnt up....literally. (Bad componant on board) Anyway.... We went to Auto Zone, etc to get a new one and the one that that matches my numbers is Unavalable. There are several more that they CAN order for like 100 bucks.

Checked with Ford...mine is 259.37.

My Question is. ....... Can i use one of the other computers other than the exact one my truck calls for? If i used one out of a automatic truck will it work without coding itsself to death,etc?

If anyone has ANY info on cross referencing, etc..i'd appreciate it..i gotta get this truck going, but i sure don't wanna spend 250 if i can get by with 100 bucks.

Thanks Ya'll

Old 03-31-2004, 09:26 PM
Lightbulb

Just an idea...if you're gonna *experiment* with aftermarket, be careful as most electronic return policys expire once you install it. If cost is a concern, why not just go to a bone yard and get a used Ford computer for your truck?
Good luck!

Old 03-31-2004, 10:54 PM
Yeah...we know about the return policy...thanks though....that's why I was wondering if anyone had any info on this deal,hoping one of the more readily available computers would work This particular computer in evidently hard to find....we did a locate on it and found one in Arkansas for 100 bucks used.. it also has a no return policy, so i passed. We found one today for 170.00 new and decided to go with that one.

The only reason i was wanting to spend as little as possible is that this fall we're swapping the whole drivetrain out for a 351w and early non electronic aod. We'll use Aftermarket injection on the windsor, so the factory computer/wiring will not be used....so it's just to keep us going till the swap.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Is there any reason you have to wait until fall to do the drivetrain swap?

Old 04-02-2004, 01:11 AM
We're just now in the build process on the engine & tranny. It won't be ready till around fall and we don't want to rush our original plans for the swap. There's nothing wrong with the 300/5 speed combo, so it's not a "have to hurry" deal. The computer was just an unexpected failure.

Quick Reply: Computer Swap