Pre-1997 Models

Too much power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 02:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much power?

I just replaced my stock 95 amp alternator for a new 130 amp...all is good, except if I rev my engine and bring my RPM's up high all my gauge lights and headlights get super bright and my Volt gauge on the gauge cluster goes to the highest point untill my RPMs go back down, this only happens for maybe 2 seconds and would last as long as I have my RPMs at that point. Also when this happens my battery light goes on but goes off as soon as the RPMS are lowered back down.

This wouldn't happen under normal driving only if I was pointlessly reving my engine high.

So my question is: Is this bad? Is my alternator to powerful?

Old 10-01-2003, 10:24 AM
Is there a such thing as to powerful
Look on the bright side, you need a bigger stereo and PIAA lights to draw more juice

Old 10-01-2003, 05:38 PM
The alternator only puts out as many amps as your vehicle needs. If your lights are getting brighter you are probably getting too much voltage. Your new alternator could have a bad voltage regulator, or depending on how old your truck is you may have an external regulator.

Either that or your old alternator was so weak your not used to seeing the lights at full power!

-Jon

Old 10-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Ford4ever
The alternator only puts out as many amps as your vehicle needs. If your lights are getting brighter you are probably getting too much voltage. Your new alternator could have a bad voltage regulator, ...
this what I'm thinkin to. You need to have a output (amps)test. Take it somewhere to get a starting and charging test done.

Old 10-09-2003, 05:18 PM
voltage regulator

I too would put money on the regulator.

You can hook up a volt meter and see what the voltage is. It should be ~12 volts engine off and 13-14 volts engine on. It should remain basically constant through the RPM range. In theory it shouldnt matter where you hook the volt meter in the system, but a high draw lead may be a little lower.

Quick Reply: Too much power?