This is ridiculous...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We don't have an "assault" weapon problem, or EVIL GUN problem, or "gun control" problem in this country. We have a people problem:

Last edited by Frank S; 12-18-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat F7
I have no problem with gun control but the sale of assault like weapons to the general public doesn't make much sense? As I said in my previous post I love guns but some guns are just trouble in the making.
I agree assault firearms should be restricted. Fortunately they are. What the government is attempting to do is restrict scary military looking firearms. Those are not assault weapons. They are nothing more than semi-auto replicas of the real thing.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1depd
I agree assault firearms should be restricted. Fortunately they are. What the government is attempting to do is restrict scary military looking firearms. Those are not assault weapons. They are nothing more than semi-auto replicas of the real thing.
I told my friend the same thing earlier tonight. True assault rifles were NEVER legal for the average citizen to buy. An assault rifle is selectable firing, meaning it can either be semi or fully automatic. The first one made was the German STG44 made in 1944. Automatic weapons were banned for the average US citizen in 1934. What people are buying are guns that look nasty but are not any more powerful than than a small hunting rifle. In fact, many of the calibers these weapons are chambered in are much weaker than a full size rifle caliber.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Samuel L Jackson said this today about the Sandy Hook shooting: “I don’t think it’s about more gun control. I grew up in the South with guns everywhere and we never shot anyone. This [shooting] is about people who aren’t taught the value of life.”

I don't agree with Samuel Jackson on a lot of things, but he got that right.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet

Now, how do we exert this control? None of the proposed laws I'm reading about will do this.

- Jack
How about training and arming our school teachers and eliminating gun free zones aka soft target zones. Ironic how all these mass murders seem to happen where no one can defend themselves.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alex_4.2L
How about training and arming our school teachers and eliminating gun free zones aka soft target zones. Ironic how all these mass murders seem to happen where no one can defend themselves.
Amen to that. Do we really think that all teachers don't have a carry license or are incapable of safely carrying? I'm not saying require teachers to be armed, but there should be a few armed teachers/professors in every school.

Right now, our schools are shooting galleries for psychos and they can blast away with impunity until police arrive because of the insanity known as 'gun free zones', etc. It should be called 'common sense free zones' instead.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
I told my friend the same thing earlier tonight. True assault rifles were NEVER legal for the average citizen to buy. An assault rifle is selectable firing, meaning it can either be semi or fully automatic. The first one made was the German STG44 made in 1944. Automatic weapons were banned for the average US citizen in 1934. What people are buying are guns that look nasty but are not any more powerful than than a small hunting rifle. In fact, many of the calibers these weapons are chambered in are much weaker than a full size rifle caliber.
those... total agreement... I can dress up a good amount of the guns in my house to look like a dangerous military firearm, but in all honesty it's still as stated, a hunting rifle. as stated, it may not hurt to have an armed teacher on the school grounds, heck i wouldn't mind at all! i may invite the man/woman out to shoot with me to better themselves. in a couple of months, (if nothing happend) it will all die down to the backburner on the governments mind. it has been a topic for years, but has anything drastic happend yet? no. it's irritating to see the mindless action of one destroy the reputation of many.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2.5 million people in this country use guns to protect themselves each year. Out of that 2.5 million, 400,000 say that it saved their life. Take that away and you tip the scales to the "bad guys" pretty far.

I can't say for sure but I think that it is illegal for a crazy person to operate a motor vehicle. Would that make his car also something used in the mass killing? Should we ban cars so crazy people can't get to where they can commit these types of killings?

Perhaps we could pass a "law" that if some one does this kind of thing they MUST shoot themself first instead of last. That would have the same effect as the other "Laws" he decided not to follow.

I heard today that his mother was about to have him committed and was ready to sign the papers. So he shot her first, 4 times in the head while she slept. As long as we coddle these people that are not right this kind of thing will continue.

Funny how those who push so hard for gun controll are so quick to say drugs should be legal because there is no way to get rid of them, and the constitution doesn't say anything about snort, smoke, or inject being an inalienable right!

But Americans can rest assured that congress will do the right thing............I can just hear it now-we must first pass the bill so we can see what is in it! RIP AMERICA

Last edited by jgger; 12-19-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That dope Howard Dean was on CNBC the other morning trying to convince people that assault firearms all shoot multiple shots when you press the trigger once, "don't tell me other wise, I have shot them."
The counter to him said 'no, that is a machine gun which has been a restricted item since 1934'.
Dean, to cover up the stupidity when he was just proven to be full of it, went off on another tangent.

Here we go, say it enough times, and people will believe it.

Don't like what is being said, change the narrative to fit what you want it to be.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 AM
Figure this, to Congress a semi-automatic weapon with collapsable stock is.....AN ASSAULT RIFLE. Wonderful definition Congress.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by Frank S
Amen to that. Do we really think that all teachers don't have a carry license or are incapable of safely carrying? I'm not saying require teachers to be armed, but there should be a few armed teachers/professors in every school.

Right now, our schools are shooting galleries for psychos and they can blast away with impunity until police arrive because of the insanity known as 'gun free zones', etc. It should be called 'common sense free zones' instead.
Two things. There was a teacher near where I live who did exactly what you are proposing. He had a pistol in his car and when a kid decided he wanted to shoot the high school up, he went to his car and retrieved his pistol. He ended the threat as the kid was going from the high school to the middle school. At least that is the story.

If I recall correctly, if you have a concealed carry permit, you may carry in the gun free zone, but it has to be unloaded. I think a better option is for the schools to implement a program that would allow teachers to possess their firearm in the classroom in a locked box attached to their desk. The schools could require teachers to obtain a certain number of hours of training on the proper handling and use of the firearm as well as recurring training/practice every year. I think the majority of teachers who already own and carry firearms would easily meet the requirements. That is within the federal law and is allowable.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Two things. There was a teacher near where I live who did exactly what you are proposing. He had a pistol in his car and when a kid decided he wanted to shoot the high school up, he went to his car and retrieved his pistol. He ended the threat as the kid was going from the high school to the middle school. At least that is the story.

If I recall correctly, if you have a concealed carry permit, you may carry in the gun free zone, but it has to be unloaded. I think a better option is for the schools to implement a program that would allow teachers to possess their firearm in the classroom in a locked box attached to their desk. The schools could require teachers to obtain a certain number of hours of training on the proper handling and use of the firearm as well as recurring training/practice every year. I think the majority of teachers who already own and carry firearms would easily meet the requirements. That is within the federal law and is allowable.
I would generally agree, however, I think any legal citizen should be able to pass a qualification test and carry a weapon. Have them accredited every 6 months by qualifying with a firearm and showing proper operation and understanding. That simple. And then remove the concept of 'gun free zones' - because that serves to only unarm the civilized law abiding citizen, not the criminal.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Ok, I don't post in here often but I have a question for everyone here.

What are the similarities of the firearms these pictures?

Name:  IMG_20120711_071110.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20120326_194859.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  58.5 KB

I'll tell you, they were/are used by the military at one point in history and two of them are still used today. The gun haters will not stop until all firearms are gone from civilian hands and the only groups that posses them are police and the military. I agree something needs to be done because I'm sick from what happened to the innocent kids in Connecticut. Give the parents back their rights to parent with out the threat of DCS being called for disciplining their kids, put God back in schools and I don't care who's God you worship, give the police and justice system the teeth to deal with these crimes with out the outcry that they were good people deep down that didn't know better. If you carry out such a heinous act it should be considered terrorism and you get shoved in the deepest darkest hell hole they can find with no hope of every seeing the sun again.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
...<snip>...

I don't know that any of the weapons that have been misused in mass killings over recent years were illegally obtained. I may be wrong, and if I am, I know I'll be corrected, ...<snip>...

Beltway snipers.
Malvo was a minor
Muhammad had a criminal record

Both of them could not legally purchase or own a weapon.
Bit of additional reading ( been busy still playing catch up ), the 3rd worst mass killing in US ( behind 9/11 and the OK city bombing ) was Happyland in the Bronx. Arson killed 87 people ( 'unstable' people lit the place that his ex-girlfriend worked at )

Back to illegally obtained weapons for mass killings
Wendy's Restaurant in Queens in 2000
National Zoo in DC in 2000
Elementary School in Mt. Morris in 2000
Northlake Shipyard in SEATAC in 1999
Jewish Community Center in LA in 1999
Columbine High School in Denver in 1999
High School in Paducah KY in 1997
Andrew Cunanan in 4 states in 1997
Bank of America robbery in Hollywood CA in 1997
Police Station in DC in 1994 ( lot of good the gun restrictions did )
Baz on the bridge in Brooklyn in 1994
Law Offices in SFO in 1993
Mall in PA in 1985
David Berkowitz in NY in 1976

Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 AM
You are incorrect

In actuality, the problem seems to be that having and enforcing gun laws does nothing to prevent people who LEGALLY own guns from MISUSING them.

I don't know that any of the weapons that have been misused in mass killings over recent years were illegally obtained. I may be wrong, and if I am, I know I'll be corrected, ........

- Jack
Columbine High School massacre

On January 30, 1998, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold stole tools and other equipment from a van parked near the city of Littleton.[6] Both youths were arrested and subsequently attended a joint court hearing, where they pleaded guilty to the felony theft.
So here are two felons who are incapable of buying a firearm. They got them from friends:

In their investigation into how Harris and Klebold had acquired their firearms, police learned they had acquired one through a friend Mark Manes. Manes and Philip Duran, who had introduced the duo to Manes,[36] were eventually prosecuted for their roles in supplying guns to Harris and Klebold.[37] Each was charged with supplying a handgun to a minor and possession of a sawed-off shotgun. Manes and Duran were sentenced to a total of six years and four-and-a-half years in prison, respectively

Harris and Klebold .....sawed the barrels and butts off their shotguns to make them easier to conceal.[4] They committed numerous felony violations of state and federal law, including the National Firearms Act and the Gun Control Act of 1968, before they began the massacre.

I am saddened by these mass shootings as much as anybody, but what bothers me is the anti-gun mentality that immediatly surfaces. Our society needs to look at the underlying drivers, and I think Hollywood, the gaming industry, and our social entitlement programs really need to be controlled. It has taken 20 years of violence on TV/movies to get us to this point, and it will take another 20 yrs to get any laws enacted because Hollywood is very a very powerful voice in politics. So which lawmaker from California has stepped up to draft legislation to do something about Hollywood or the gming industry?? Not one that I know, now I could be wrong. Let me know if I am.