The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

Well, I think I'm done with the Ranger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Well, I think I'm done with the Ranger?

Anyone have or use a side-by-side for Hunting? I have a 2012 Polaris Ranger HD, with power steering and engine braking, self leveling rear suspension. Well, Until I think of something else that I want or need, I think I'm done with her now. I had a front brushguard and rear bumper added to her, and I bought a pair of gun scabbards with a mount for them that goes into the bed. When I bought her I had them install the Pro-Steel cab with the canvas doors and tip out glass windshield. I new I would be taking the doors off as needed so I wanted something lighter and easy to remove. I then had a Cab heater put in. And I'm sooo glad I did. Gets cold in them West Virginia hills. I had a WARN 4500lb integrated winch installed. It has a switch mounted on the gear shift lever, and a plug in the dash so I can use a 25' corded remote switch outside the cab. I also had a rear view mirror added inside, and I had the dealer also add a silencer muffler to help quite her down going around the mountain. Then a set of Rigid Dually spot lights mounted on top of the cab, and D2's in amber mounted on the brush guard. After the first season the amber D2's were fine in foul weather but didn't project far enough. So the following year, June '13, I removed them and put on a set of Rigid 6" E-series combo lights in place of the D2 ambers. Hugh difference. It got dark in the cab at night so I put four LED strap lights to illuminate it inside. After a few times of rideing in the rain and snow I decided to put wipers on her. And a Seizmik out side rear view mirror. That helped a lot with me seeing around and behind me. Then this year Rigid came out with a Hyper-spot Dually spot light. Has a more concentrated beam and projects farther. So I removed the original spot lights and a set of the Hyperspots went on. Going around the mountain at night was fun, but I could only see in front of me. I needed to see to the sides because those mountain roads can get narrow in spots. So a set of SR-M2 mini driving lights went on. I aimed them slightly to the side. And, I Almost backed into my truck several times last year because I couldn't see behind me in the dark of night. So I then put a set of the mini driving lights on the rear of the cab. Problems solved. And then lastly, the stock tires were OK, but rode like crap. So I put on a set of Maxxis Ceros, and got a set of chains for the really bad snow days. Then just for kicks and giggles, I bought a Go Pro 3 Black edition. I mount it outside the cab in front of the windshield, I Have a wireless remote mounted on the dash so I can switch it on when needed. Really fun too. I think I'm done? So Here's a few Pics of her:

Last edited by Scarlet; 09-25-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a pretty sweet hunting rig there. How quiet is it and what sort of hunting do you do?

Old 09-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Hey bud. When I bought her I was concerned about loosing power because of the additional restriction on the exhaust. But the service guys assured me that the silencer muffler does a good job and that it wouldn't loose any power. It's really quite. The squeeks and rattles of the suspension makes more noise than the engine does. As far as power I don't have anything to compare it to. But it definitely has no problem going up the roads around the mountain, and with three of us in it, plus three-four 100lb. bags of feed corn for the feeders. The inclines average 7%-9%, and some crests are 13%. We, meaning my family of two sisters, brother-in-law, and Ma, Own some property outside of Burlington, West Virginia. When I was small, probably around 10-12 Y.O., my Dad would take us out to see a close friend of his that moved out around Romney. We would go and spend weekends with them. In about '80-'81 he bought his own property for hunting. Over the years he managed to buy a few adjoining plots. So now we hunt on about 65 acres or so. I actually was away for a few years and hadn't gone out for a long time. In the mid eighties I moved out to live at the beach. Was there for about ten years or so before I moved back in to the area. It wasn't until about '09 when I started going back out again. We mostly hunt Deer, Turkey, Squirrel. And whatever else may pop up. I actually haven't hunted because of back issues. Unable to walk any distance or stand and sit for any length of time. So I bought some trail cameras and I man those, along with a couple of Moultrie feeders. Last year I bought a Tenpoint Crossbow with the hopes of doing a little hunting. But alas, my darn back has kept me from that too. So that's mostly why I bought the Ranger, so I could be mobile. OK, the WindBag is Done......

Last edited by Scarlet; 09-26-2014 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Well, I think I'm done with the Ranger?