The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

HELP! Keep my f150 build or swap to a f250 PSD??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Keep my f150 build or swap to a f250 PSD??

Hey guys I just got offered a great deal on a 1996 extended cab long box 7.3 PSD 4x4 for $5000. The current owner is a neighbor of mine who is a ford mechanic and has taken good care of the truck, but never uses it. Glow plugs were changed last year, new batteries, gas tank, fuel lines and I believe pump. He also custom tuned a chip which he estimates at about a 80HP bump with a fair torque gain. I am torn whether I should keep working my current build or start fresh. I will list some specs of both trucks

96 f150 4x4 5.0L standard cab short box- My current rig
6 inch superlift
2 inch leveling kit with a rear spring re arch (So 8 inch suspension lift)
35" MT MTZ Radials
Stock gears and TTB (coil sprung)
142000 kilometers
Body in very rough shape, cab good. Have been planning to do the body and paint this summer.

96 f250 extended cab long box 7.3 PSD
3 inch body lift
33" tires on it
stock drivetrain with the TTB front end however it is leaf sprung
188000 kilometers
body in good shape

For pros and cons of each;

my f150
+light
+suspension lift already in
+short wheelbase- great for going over sharp inclines/rocks etc Also good turning radius
-TTB- SAS harder to complete on this truck so I have read
-Weak drivetrain (Also steep driveshaft angles etc.)
-struggles towing w/o gears
-Auto lock hubs

f250
+heavier duty
+more power/torque
+Can carry and tow heavier loads
+seats more people (family in the future)
+less driveline strain when lifted (angles)
+easier to SAS
+already 8 lug
+better mileage - I would sell my f150 and my commuter and drive only this
truck so I would save on insurance etc.
-I love my short wheelbase
-less offroad capable?
-expensive diesel repairs
-potential cold weather start issues

Well guys what do you think? My truck tows our trailer with 2 quads on it ok, but I only get 9MPG to begin with, it gets worse towing. The f250 seats 4 comfortably which would be a nice addition as my fiance and I plan to have children within the next 5 years. I love the short box standard cab look and it is a great trail truck but in reality the majority of our offroading is on ATV's. I would be sad to see it go but really it still needs a ton of work. I need to regear it, I am wearing tires off like crazy with the ttb lift, it needs gears, lockers, manual locking hubs etc. (I do have a donor truck with man hubs and man transfercase) I just do not know what to do. I foresee it being the more economical route sacrificing my truck which I can not drive daily at 9MPG and selling my commuter. My neighbor says he gets about 16MPG combined with the 250.

Any help would be great. Did I mention I love the thought of stacks?

Old 06-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Slimline
He also custom tuned a chip which he estimates at about a 80HP bump with a fair torque gain.

I didn't even read any further than that in the post. Thank god you put that at the front so I didn't have to read all of that thing. That statement should be more than enough to make you run away from the truck screaming. There are lots of "techs" out there, and most don't barely even know what a diesel engine is, let alone how to program one. Poor computer programing has windowed more engine blocks than you'd care to know. Bottom line the only way that truck is worth taking is if it is free. The cylinders/pistons/connecting rods/block may have already taken damage.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
I didn't even read any further than that in the post. Thank god you put that at the front so I didn't have to read all of that thing. That statement should be more than enough to make you run away from the truck screaming. There are lots of "techs" out there, and most don't barely even know what a diesel engine is, let alone how to program one. Poor computer programing has windowed more engine blocks than you'd care to know. Bottom line the only way that truck is worth taking is if it is free. The cylinders/pistons/connecting rods/block may have already taken damage.
Maybe I should have been more clear. I do not think he fully custom tuned the chip, I think he just adjusted some of the fuel mapping etc. under normal circumstances I would be worried after reading your post but he has far more credentials than your average mechanic. I can not remember what exactly he took but he was paid by ford to get an engineering degree in something related to control unit mapping etc. I will have to ask him next time i see him what exactly it was again. I will for sure ask exactly what is done with the chip though

Old 06-12-2009, 04:57 PM
get the 7.3

$5k just go check it out. Test drive it. If you have any doubt, walk away.

I would ask him for more detail on his "custom chip". This is something that would make me worry, for same reasons powerstroke mentioned already. but, being someone who can tune a 7.3 myself... I know there are guys out there with know how. Not really rocket science. There are just more useless retards roaming this earth then something useful.

You could always take it to a trusted mechanic, have him give it an "inspection". Here, we'd charge about $60 - $120, depending on how in depth ya want us to go.

Really up to you bud, your money, you know your situation far better then me.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
get the 7.3

$5k just go check it out. Test drive it. If you have any doubt, walk away.

I would ask him for more detail on his "custom chip". This is something that would make me worry, for same reasons powerstroke mentioned already. but, being someone who can tune a 7.3 myself... I know there are guys out there with know how. Not really rocket science. There are just more useless retards roaming this earth then something useful.

You could always take it to a trusted mechanic, have him give it an "inspection". Here, we'd charge about $60 - $120, depending on how in depth ya want us to go.

Really up to you bud, your money, you know your situation far better then me.

Thanks for the reply, that is what I am planning to do I think My other buddy is a mechanic as well so we are going to take it for a test run and really go over it. We went and took a quick look at it yesterday and it looks healthy for the most part. The owner just did all new fuel lines on it and glow plugs. The front leafs look rough but that does not concern me much since i plan to SAS the truck.

Quick Reply: HELP! Keep my f150 build or swap to a f250 PSD??